Forum: Ruby on Rails Interesting ActiveRecord vs Hibernate article

432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)
Ken Kousen wrote:
> For those haven't seen it yet, Patrick Peak has an interesting article
> at the Server Side (www.theserverside.com
> <http://www.theserverside.com>) discussing the differences between the
> Hibernate (www.hibernate.org <http://www.hibernate.org>) peristence
> framework and ActiveRecord.  The article can be found here:
> http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?... .
> Patrick Peak is the author of _Hibernate Quickly_ (Manning), which I
> didn't find particularly readable, but he definitely knows his stuff.
>
> Just thought you might like to know,
Interesting.  One bit I'm not sure of:

> # Altered query for @minersWithSqA
> <%= miner.square_area %>

Is this ever true?  Doing that query doesn't stop me from calling
miner.gold_claim.square_area.

He also makes the claim that Rails can't not do lazy loading, which
seems to ignore the :include option to AR::Base#find.  Then again, it
does have a publication date of over a year ago, so I guess it may have
been true then.  It would be *really* nice to know which versions he was
comparing.