Forum: Ruby on Rails ruby on rails international & BIRT integration?

1a92246f57e3308e9985b07f5a2a0b8d?d=identicon&s=25 Juraj Bednar (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 23:49
Hello,

 I see, that Rails is quite english-centric. I am developing some webs,
that are not primarily in English. I have a few questions:

 - besides turning of plurals, what should I take care? How to use utf-8
for all data and converting it from local charsets to utf-8?
 - how do I make my page multilingual (i.e. adding english support
later)? Is there something like gettext support? Is there a multilingual
scaffold support? (So I'll have a web interface where I can translate
all the messages used in application).
 - Is there some web/wiki page talking about internationalization issues
in Rails? Should we start one?

 One more question not about internationalization: is there some BIRT
(Business Intelligence and Reporting Tool) integration? Or preferable
way to make reports (PDF, HTML, ...) from my existing model?

  Thanks,

    Juraj.
58c6efb8466b9f85155fe6aa9fc37fce?d=identicon&s=25 Chris T (Guest)
Google: UTF-8 rails
Google: rails globalize
Google: ruby Pdf writer

HTH
Dec0da3cbffbcced05699f7b2e766036?d=identicon&s=25 Juraj Bednar (jooray)
on 2006-05-04 14:13
Hello,

> Google: ruby Pdf writer

well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.

And I wanted some hints for i18n site creation (how to set up rails
correctly), I know about globalize. For example I don't know in which
character set does data from browser come...

  Juraj.
B0d6fda6fabb8cda27b5e6dde2dc2ac3?d=identicon&s=25 Simo Addsw (gal)
on 2006-05-04 14:39
Juraj Bednar wrote:

> well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
> integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.

The BIRT site contains an article about Integrating BIRT with PHP. Try
to use ruby
code and rails funtions instead of PHP.
 http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/usingPHP.php

Simo
 AddSW.it
9fe908f5593444a40be14a424c372e58?d=identicon&s=25 Masao Mutoh (Guest)

On Thu, 4 May 2006 14:13:45 +0200
Juraj Bednar <jooray@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Google: ruby Pdf writer
>
> well, I wanted <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/">BIRT</a>
> integration, not another plugin to write PDF documents.
>
> And I wanted some hints for i18n site creation (how to set up rails
> correctly), I know about globalize. For example I don't know in which
> character set does data from browser come...

Did you try Ruby-GetText-Package ?
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html
Dec0da3cbffbcced05699f7b2e766036?d=identicon&s=25 Juraj Bednar (jooray)
on 2006-05-04 19:49
Hello,

> Did you try Ruby-GetText-Package ?
> http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html

thank you, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

 Juraj.