Forum: Ruby on Rails which database to use???

4108c0021c64d188494cae8dcfc95fd8?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Mr (jon-d)
on 2006-05-03 19:43
Hello all,

i've been coding rails now for a few months and seem to always run into
problems with the database i'm using. i'm using mysql 5.0 with the query
browser, alsom i'm on an iMac intel. so what is the best setup? any
ideas would be greatly apprectiated.
Jon Mr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i've been coding rails now for a few months and seem to always run into
> problems with the database i'm using. i'm using mysql 5.0 with the query
> browser, alsom i'm on an iMac intel. so what is the best setup? any
> ideas would be greatly apprectiated.
What sort of problems are you having?

There isn't really a 'best setup', per se, but a lot of people seem to
prefer PostgreSQL for one reason or another.  Personally, I tend to use
SQLite in development, but I don't know how well that flies on an intel
mac.
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 5/3/06, Jon Mr <jon.druse@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've been coding rails now for a few months and seem to always run into
> problems with the database i'm using. i'm using mysql 5.0 with the query
> browser, alsom i'm on an iMac intel. so what is the best setup? any
> ideas would be greatly apprectiated.

You'll get more meaningful answers if you can define "always run into
problems" more exactly.

-- James
675475d0b65710be6d992eb5eb2c61c2?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:43:34PM +0200, Jon Mr wrote:
} i've been coding rails now for a few months and seem to always run
into
} problems with the database i'm using. i'm using mysql 5.0 with the
query
} browser, alsom i'm on an iMac intel. so what is the best setup? any
} ideas would be greatly apprectiated.

I generally recommend PostgreSQL for anything short of commercial
deployment. It can also be appropriate for commercial deployment, mind
you,
but there are commercial databases worth considering for that.

--Greg