Forum: Ruby Re: Completely uninstalling one-click installer

2cf408af3f08d3575c9cd7697158a8f1?d=identicon&s=25 Jamal Mazrui (Guest)
I have found that the One Click Installer sets an environmental variable
called RUBYOPT that points to the Ruby Gems library.  This causes a
problem if a copy of the Ruby interpreter is run on the same computer
from a different folder than the original installation folder, since
Ruby Gems will not be found in a subfolder of that interpreter.

I have found that this problem can be solved either by clearing the
ROBYOPT variable, or by creating a file called ubygems.rb in the same
folder as the interpreter.  Note that the initial 'r' is missing from
ubygems.rb.  That file can be empty, that is, contain no executable code
(comments are o.k.).  Apparently, the interpreter will look for this
file if the RUBYOPT variable is set, but only the existence of the file
is necessary for the main script  to continue.

Hope this helps,
Jamal
4b174722d1b1a4bbd9672e1ab50c30a9?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Leavengood (Guest)
FYI, the latest version of the One-Click installer which will be
released soon includes changes to better manage RUBYOPT. Now if
RUBYOPT is not defined before installation it will be removed upon
uninstallation, and if it is defined then -rubygems will be added to
it without destroying the original value.

In addition RUBYOPT is only changed if you choose the option to
"Enable Rubygems" during installation.

Regards,
Ryan
2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)
> (comments are o.k.).  Apparently, the interpreter will look for this
> file if the RUBYOPT variable is set, but only the existence of the file
> is necessary for the main script  to continue.

Thanks Jamal, very helpful!

> Hope this helps,
> Jamal

Victor.