Forum: Ruby Unpack *.gem

2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)
Hi all.

Some good and interesting library at rubyforge can be downloaded only as
*.gem

The question is: is there method for unpack library and view its source
and
docs *without* installing it?

I need such functionality very oftenly (in my local HDD repository there
are
93 libraries I've downloaded to study their code and docs, and only
~10-20
of them I currently use; so I don't want unused libraries to be
installed at
all).

Thanks.

Victor.
On May 2, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Victor Shepelev wrote:

> I need such functionality very oftenly (in my local HDD repository

Gems are just tar files. You can use tar -xvf some.gem to extract them.
2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)
> > I need such functionality very oftenly (in my local HDD repository
> >

> Gems are just tar files. You can use tar -xvf some.gem to extract them.

Thanks Logan.
I should guess it by myself :)

V.