Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Why Does Ruby on Debian Blow? (Was: Mongrel 3.15, Ubuntu

8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Lynch (Guest)
Gregory,

I understood your advice.

I think this has sunk to the level of help vampire:
http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires

All of your good advice and help will just keep getting sucked down a
black hole.

-Sean
4ba4bb954bcfec077d9708b540558926?d=identicon&s=25 Guido Sohne (Guest)
It is not the help vampire. We don't need help. I solved my problem
before my first post by searching this list. It's not help and good
advice here. It is denial ...

-- G.
On 5/2/06, Sean Lynch <sean.seanlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gregory,
>
> I understood your advice.
>
> I think this has sunk to the level of help vampire:
> http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires
>
> All of your good advice and help will just keep getting sucked down a
> black hole.

Dear god, I wish they hadn't published that article. It's now reached
the level of nonsense where people who are arrogant and asinine
because they know they're right are using it to dismiss legitimate
concerns with a broken process.

Fact: Debian is broken for most people who need anything reasonably
up-to-date.
Fact: This brokenness is a fundamental design misfeature.
Fact: People defend this as a "good thing." Even though it's
undefensible.
Fact: Users are blamed for being insufficently technical when
complaining about the brokenness of the problem.
Opinion: People should be directed to more usable operating systems.

Like MS-DOS.

What's wrong with you people?

-austin
On 5/2/06, Sean Lynch <sean.seanlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gregory,
> I understood your advice.

> I think this has sunk to the level of help vampire:
> http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires
>
> All of your good advice and help will just keep getting sucked down a
> black hole.

I'm replying a second time because this nonsense has *really* pissed
me off to the point that I will no longer support any railser who uses
Debian. Sorry, but you need to get an operating system or distribution
where the maintainers and "enlightened" users aren't so damned
arrogant and asinine so as to not recognise legitimate problems.

Sean, this isn't a help vampire thing. I don't use Debian. I don't
*want* Gregory to give me advice on how to fix my Debian. Because I
don't use Debian.

I write software that other people use. If it doesn't work on Debian,
guess who gets a support message? That's right, me. Not the idiots who
defend nonsensical Debian packaging. Me. Not the overworked volunteers
who make bad decisions in the process of Debian packaging. Me.

If Debian is the source of numerous problems, AS IT HAS BEEN SHOWN TO
BE MANY TIMES, then the problem isn't my software. It's Debian.

As such, Debian users must first reproduce their problems on a
non-Debian-based system before I will provide support to them for
Ruwiki, PDF::Writer, Archive::Tar::Minitar, MIME::Types, Text::Format
or anything else that I've written. If you don't like it, why don't
you thank Greg and Sean for their arrogant and asinine responses here.
I've had enough of supporting Debian stupidity.

-austin
55428cbf149e35dd4b65f1d019d04139?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Palmer (Guest)
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 03:20:13PM -0400, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Fact: Debian is broken for most people who need anything reasonably
> up-to-date.

Rewording for truth: Debian *stable* does not contain the most
up-to-date
software.

> Fact: This brokenness is a fundamental design misfeature.

Correct.

> Fact: People defend this as a "good thing." Even though it's undefensible.

Not having your system change out from underneath you when you're
running
large-scale production systems isn't a good thing?

> Opinion: People should be directed to more usable operating systems.

Please do so.

To save slightly on list traffic (hah!) -- I heartily endorse your
decision
to refuse to support Debian users using your software.  You are unable
provide effective support for their environment, and you should not be
burdened with their problems.

- Matt

--
I am cow, hear me moo, I weigh twice as much as you. I'm a cow, eating
grass, methane gas comes out my ass. I'm a cow, you are too; join us