Forum: Ruby [ANN] Radiant CMS

6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
I am pleased to announce that Radiant CMS is now publically available
from the Subversion repository at:

   http://radiantcms.org/

What is Radiant?
----------------

Radiant is a no-fluff, open source content management system designed
for small teams. It is similar to Textpattern or MovableType, but is a
general purpose content management system (not a blogging engine).

Radiant features:

  * An elegant user interface

  * Flexible templating with layouts, snippets, page parts, and a custom
    tagging language (Radius - http://radius.rubyforge.org)

  * Extensible with special page-oriented plugins called behaviors

  * Support for Markdown and Textile as well as traditional HTML (it's
    easy to create other filters)

  * A Simple user management/rights system

  * Operates in two modes: dev and production - depending on the URL

  * A caching system which expires pages every 5 minutes

  * Built using Ruby on Rails (which means that extending Radiant is as
   easy as creating a new controller)

  * Radiant is licensed under the MIT-LICENSE.

  * And much more...

Radiant is the content management system that will eventually power
Ruby-Lang.org (yes we are nearing completion on the project!). With this
in mind I would really appreciate it if a few of you could kick the
tires hard and make sure that Radiant is ready to go for Ruby-Lang.
Please! Download Radiant from the Subversion repository and get this
puppy on the road.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com/

scott.

What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it's ever
done in a PC.

My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog

[...]

0b561a629b87f0bbf71b45ee5a48febb?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Burt (Guest)
John W. Long wrote:
> Please! ... get this puppy on the road.

I'm not sure this metaphor is all that friendly to the fledgling CMS!

Cheers,
Dave
6d5602ac22cc57505c0d3a24b3d63108?d=identicon&s=25 Tyler Prete (Guest)
I'll give this a try on my homepage, but I wasn't able to find out if
rails
1.1 is required.  Dreamhost is STILL running 1.0 (at least the machine I
am
hosted on), so if it is I'll have to wait a bit.
Dave Burt wrote:
> John W. Long wrote:
>> Please! ... get this puppy on the road.
>
> I'm not sure this metaphor is all that friendly to the fledgling CMS!

Sigh.

:-)
Tyler Prete wrote:
> I'll give this a try on my homepage, but I wasn't able to find out if rails
> 1.1 is required.  Dreamhost is STILL running 1.0 (at least the machine I am
> hosted on), so if it is I'll have to wait a bit.

It ships with Rails 1.1.
On May 1, 2006, at 1:40 PM, John W. Long wrote:

John-

	I just took a walk through the code of your cms and I must say I
like what you have done. Very nice code in there ;)

-Ezra
Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> On May 1, 2006, at 1:40 PM, John W. Long wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce that Radiant CMS is now publically available
>> from the Subversion repository at:
>>
>>   http://radiantcms.org/
>
>     I just took a walk through the code of your cms and I must say I
> like what you have done. Very nice code in there ;)

Thanks Ezra. I've enjoyed putting together a couple of domain languages
for the project. It's really been a blast.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
John W. Long wrote:
> for small teams. It is similar to Textpattern or MovableType, but is a
>
>   easy as creating a new controller)
> get this puppy on the road.
>
> --
> John Long
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/

Hi John,

    Very nice code indeed... can you please give us the working
environment of Radiant CMS. Like what version or Ruby and Rails are you
using can this be used using postgres. Lastly can you give me the plain
schema of Radiant so I can just do the old style of creating a database
in postgres and not the new rake migrate stuff. I have not touch in to
that stuff yet. Again thanks! and more power!

Erwin Quita
Erwin Quita wrote:
> in postgres and not the new rake migrate stuff. I have not touch in to
> that stuff yet. Again thanks! and more power!

Things are setup so that it checks out Rails 1.1.2. I'm personally using
MySQL (various versions), but you should be able to make it run with
other databases.

I just checked the MySQL schema in:

http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/browser/trunk/ra...

At the bare minimum you will need to create an Admin user after creating
the table structure. Have a look at db/setup.rb and use script/console
to create the user.

I am curious to know how it runs on postgres (and other databases for
that matter). If patches are needed please don't hesitate to create a
ticket in Trac and submit one.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com/

Very nice job. I like the UI a lot - very clean and friendly.

Larry
Ff9ba6ea540d0d42d520a33107c3ac31?d=identicon&s=25 Erik B. Ordway (Guest)
I posted a patch to fix a couple of boolean mysql'isms that stopped
it on postgresql.  It was just to small changes.  Otherwise it seems
to run fine and the migrations work setting up the admin account.  I
really like it so far and am thinking using it for the lab I work in
new site.
4bd34a2216dc8bdbf1f017f64e4d59e8?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Maxwell (Guest)
On 5/1/06, John W. Long <ng@johnwlong.com> wrote:
> for small teams. It is similar to Textpattern or MovableType, but is a
>
>    easy as creating a new controller)
> puppy on the road.
>
> --
> John Long
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/

I'd like to chime in and say that this is the 1st cms that I've demoed
and liked immediately.  My only concern is image/file management.
There seems to be no way to upload and add a picture to a page.

--
Kyle Maxwell
Chief Technologist
Kyle Maxwell wrote:
> On 5/1/06, John W. Long <ng@johnwlong.com> wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce that Radiant CMS is now publically available
>> from the Subversion repository at:
>>
>>    http://radiantcms.org/
>>

> I'd like to chime in and say that this is the 1st cms that I've demoed
> and liked immediately.

Cool. :-)

> My only concern is image/file management. There
> seems to be no way to upload and add a picture to a page.

Support for attachments is planned, but was not necessary for the
Ruby-Lang site. For now, just upload images into the "public" directory.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

--
John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@pearson.com
http://pearsonedmeasurement.com
0592d2d715f66b9413903e73096af273?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Knapp (Guest)

This is very good. I teach programming and I have been using wikis to
deliver my course content. But, wikis are not really a good fit and
Radiant
has the potential to be better. However, I would need to have your
second
generation of roles and your planned versioning for this to work for me.
This would be very important to me and I would like to join the effort
if
possible.

First, is the mailing list functional yet? I have signed up for it but
have
not received confirmation. Next, where should I look at applying some
effort?

Thanks for this!

-Eric
John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:
> I've been looking for an opportunity to switch off of MagnoliaCMS
> toward something rubyish and this may be it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on the mailing list:

John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com/
Eric Knapp wrote:
> This is very good. I teach programming and I have been using wikis to
> deliver my course content. But, wikis are not really a good fit and Radiant
> has the potential to be better. However, I would need to have your second
> generation of roles and your planned versioning for this to work for me.
> This would be very important to me and I would like to join the effort if
> possible.
>
> First, is the mailing list functional yet? I have signed up for it but have
> not received confirmation.

The mailing list seems to be down. Let me see what I can do.

> Next, where should I look at applying some effort?

I've got some peculiar ideas about how versioning and permissions should
work. It sounds like you've read permissions.txt in the root directory.
Do you think you could flesh that document out detailing more precisely
how you would want it implemented, then, once the mailing list is up and
running we can discuss it with some others on the list and determine a
plan of action.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
>> have
>> not received confirmation.
>
> The mailing list seems to be down. Let me see what I can do.

The mailman daemon had hung. (Boy that sounds bad!) The list should be
back up and running now. Did you receive a confirmation?

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com/