Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: large file storing in postgres sucks?

> I'm not sure if this is a postgres issue or not, but I'm
> When /files/podcast.mp3 is 32 megabytes and I run the test,
> memory spikes hugely.  My laptop quickly began swapping out
> memory and became unusable.  top showed the memory usage of
> the Ruby process to be about 400MB and growing.
>
> Is there something stupid that I'm doing?
>
> Joe

I don't think I would stick mp3 files directly into a database,
regardless of vendor.  I think I'd just let the mp3 files sit on
the filesystem somewhere, and have an entry in the database that
points to the appropriate file.  Use controller methods for
uploading and downloading.

Just my .02.

Regards,

Dan

or
strictly
destroy
On 5/1/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is a postgres issue or not, but I'm
> > When /files/podcast.mp3 is 32 megabytes and I run the test,
> the filesystem somewhere, and have an entry in the database that
> points to the appropriate file.  Use controller methods for
> uploading and downloading.

I would like to figure out a way to have everything be in the database
though.  Would make doing backups pretty darned easy.

But maybe filesystem is the way to go.