Forum: Ruby on Rails Uninstalling RUBYGEMS

02bb6e0631356c1f1a495c05e383dddb?d=identicon&s=25 Edmund Lim (edlim)

does anyone know how to uninstall rubygem?

I installed and it had the notorious hanging problem that no one seems
to have an answer to.

So I am going to attempt to install Rails without gems.

Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
me? =)

Regards,
Edmund
D90ef6808433e63203e15a5c2dadb0bb?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Reubenstein (Guest)
What OS?

On 5/2/06, Edmund Lim <god_is_good478@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
66dd32f2434b19b052638a478656b81f?d=identicon&s=25 Kim Shrier (Guest)
On May 2, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Edmund Lim wrote:

> Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
> me? =)
>

> Regards,
> Edmund

If you installed rubygem with some sore of package management system, it
probably provides for an uninstall capability.  If not, here is one way
to remove it.

1. Find out where ruby installs its libraries.  If you don't know where
your libraries are located, you can execute the following command:

     ruby -e 'puts $:'

On my machine, this outputs:

     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd5
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd5
     .

2.  Change into the /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 directory.  In
there
you should find the following files that belong to rubygems:

     gemconfigure.rb
     rubygems.rb
     ubygems.rb

You should also see the directory "rubygems"

Remove these files and the directory with the following commands:

     cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
     rm -r gemconfigure.rb rubygems.rb ubygems.rb rubygems

3.  In order to remove all the gems on your computer, remove the gems
directory under /usr/local/lib/ruby with the following command:

     rm -r /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems

If your ruby libraries are installed somewhere other than /usr/local/
lib/ruby,
make the appropriate changes to the above commands.

Kim
--
  Kim Shrier - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:kim@tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development