Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT]: Asking questions on this list

77961c972c437d6801714f45c3f2cc3c?d=identicon&s=25 Raphael Schmid (rapha)
on 2006-05-02 21:39
Hi List,

it appears that for the third or fourth time now, I've asked a
question that nobody seems to respond to. Other questions (often
things that could quite easily have been extracted by searching
with Google or from api.rubyonrails.org) are answered almost
momentarily.

I've to admit I'm more than a little frustrated by this, so have
to ask myself if it was my own fault that none of these questions
was answered. Let's see:

  * Included error messages, if applicable

  * Said what steps I had already undertaken
    to gain an understanding of the problem
    by myself

  * Was polite

Is there anything else that one has to do? One question and nobody
knows the answer -- okay. Two questions and nobody knows the answer
might be bad luck. Three questions and nobody knows the answer --
nobody WANTS to answer?

PLEASE, if I did anything wrong in asking questions on this list,
I'd truly and heartily like to know. If it's anything about my
person, maybe it can be changed?

Thanks for your time.

-- Raphael
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
This list gets a lot of traffic, and sometimes things get missed.
Sometimes I've noticed that depending on the time of day / timezone
you're in, will make a big difference in responses.  How about posting
your questions again.

Michael
5dad93417a7379a2343583d083335912?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Ã?gren (Guest)
hehe .. I'm don't know about your questions .. but i know i will
only answer when i think i can help.

so:
easy question = many to answer .. and some might even do it
hard question = few to answer .. but one should be enough :)

I'm still new at rails and this is in fact my first attendance on a
mailing list, but i will agree with you that many of the questions
here are easy (even i can answer a few after 2 weeks of rails).

- Brian
D90ef6808433e63203e15a5c2dadb0bb?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Reubenstein (Guest)
Hi Raphael ~

The Rails community provides answers for free.  It is just a nice
thing that some of us like to do in our spare time.  It is unfortunate
that your questions were not answered, when you found answers did you
reply and share them with the community?

There are a lot of people I can think of, Ezra for one, who spend a
lot of time answering questions.  Not all questions asked are good
questions.  Not all questions are easily answered.  Many questions are
so specific to a situation, that without actually understanding the
bigger picture, it is impossible for the community to answer.  There
are also questions that demonstrate a lack of understanding for basic
principles of computers believe it or not...

Now I have never read your questions, but I can tell you many, many
people did.

~ Ben

On 5/2/06, Raphael Schmid <raphael@schwarzschmid.de> wrote:
> was answered. Let's see:
> knows the answer -- okay. Two questions and nobody knows the answer
>
> --

Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
Ad91bce9c9a8c68b6942607e4721f74e?d=identicon&s=25 Beate Paland (Guest)
Raphael, ansonsten probier es doch mal auf der deutschen Rails-ML:
http://www.rubyonrails-ug.de/

Grüße Beate
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 5/2/06, Raphael Schmid <raphael@schwarzschmid.de> wrote:

> it appears that for the third or fourth time now, I've asked a
> question that nobody seems to respond to. Other questions (often
> things that could quite easily have been extracted by searching
> with Google or from api.rubyonrails.org) are answered almost
> momentarily.
>
> I've to admit I'm more than a little frustrated by this, so have
> to ask myself if it was my own fault that none of these questions
> was answered. Let's see:

You've been asking about i18n, which nearly no one cares about.  Not
that it isn't important, but relatively very few people need or want
to know about this. i.e. Few people know the answer offhand.

Also, you've been answering your own questions shortly after asking
them, so why would anyone else bother to look into it when you've
already fixed your own issue?

-- James
2b2c2a705ed12f8fb327c7b4c56456c6?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Hussey (seanhussey)
Hi Raphael,

I've had the same experience, but I think it's really just a factor of
the amount of traffic on the list.

You might try the IRC channel.  If I can't get help on the list, I'm
usually able to get some sort of response on IRC.

Sean
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
I agree and I suspect what Amy Hoy talks about here
http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires
has happened!

-bakki
On May 2, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Raphael Schmid wrote:

>   * Included error messages, if applicable
>
>   * Said what steps I had already undertaken
>     to gain an understanding of the problem
>     by myself
>
>   * Was polite

I just looked over your posts.

It appears to me that you've asked several questions about
internationalization. This is is a Rails mailing list, not
a GetText or generalized Ruby mailing list. Additionally,
the Rails community doesn't seem to have a clear consensus
on the issue, likely due to Ruby's weaknesses there, so I
think *most* people using Rails aren't using it for projects
that need internationalization and therefore cannot answer
your questions.

The only other topic was ultra basic routing. I can tell
you that I only answer questions that cannot be answered
by reading the excellent Pragmatic Programmer Agile Web
Development with Rails book.

Why do I draw the line there? Because the book is excellent,
affordable, available and inexpensive. If everyone read it
before posting here, there would be a much higher signal to
noise ratio on this list.

--
-- Tom Mornini
77961c972c437d6801714f45c3f2cc3c?d=identicon&s=25 Raphael Schmid (rapha)

thank you all for your replies! They did, in any case, give me back the
good feeling I previously had about Rails and support for it. Especially
Beate's hint was probably worth gold, since chances that users on the
German mailing list (which I am on...) care about i18n.

As for what you, Tom, said... I did buy both the Pickaxe and the Agile
book when I started out with Rails. Meanwhile there's also a couple of
others on my shelve (Rails Recipes, Ruby and Rails, ...).

I think the problem mainly is (with me, anyways, might not be that way
with other people) that sometimes you're just so messed up by fiddling
around already that you only understand direct, very basic and specific
hints as to what you have to do. A book _has_ to be a bit more generic
than that, and explain what [routing] actually is and how it works in
principle.

Anyways.

A good evening everybody!

-- Raphael