Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Recognition failed for "/dispatch.cgi"

D4df3d19d4f89cc9a151275748b1877b?d=identicon&s=25 Natevw (Guest)
The problem turned out to be fairly simple. The main problem: Apache
handles the ScriptAlias directories so that all files are "executed"
rather than served. I'm assuming also that Apache doesn't bother looking
at the .htaccess files therein, either.

So instead, I had 'rails' put everything into my web document area. The
path issue seems to be resolved without any of my help - I'm assuming
for now that it was automatically configured during the rails install.
Now it works quite nicely, and I can get back to my term paper!

So, if anyone else runs stuck similarly, the moral is: don't try to save
on configuration time by putting everything straight into /cgi-bin/! So
long as .htaccess files are enabled, anywhere whithin DocumentRoot is a
right place.

HTH,
-natevw

Natevw wrote:
 > Changed subject to reflect new developments.
 >
 > I can run the script/server just fine, "Riding the Rails" shows up on
 > http://myserver.com:3000, but still nothing via my host's Apache2.
 >
 > At least part of the problem must be with paths. I have ruby
installed
 > in ~/devtemp/bin. However, most of the scripts reference
"#!/usr/bin/env
 > ruby" when the path is set to some basic default.
 >
 > I tried SetEnv PATH /home/natevw/devtemp/bin in the
 > railstest/public/.htaccess, and tried setting ENV['PATH'] ||=
'<path>'
 > in an environment.rb file. Still no luck!
 >

 > How do I set the CGI's path correctly so that Ruby sees it?
 >

 > Googling and forum searching, I'm not finding many others installing
 > Rails into a hosted account on someone else's server. Surely this is
not
 > the case...?
 >
 > -natevw
 >

 > Natevw wrote:
 >
 >> Alright, I got ruby, rubygem and perhaps rails installed on my
account.

 >> I am able to run a plain Ruby script from my cgi-bin.
 >>
 >> I can create a whole mess of folders and files by typing "rails
 >> testrails" in my cgi-bin.
 >>
 >> But after that, I can't get the wonderful behavior described in all
 >> the tutorials.
 >>
 >> Going to '/cgi-bin/testrails/public/' gets 404'ed.
 >> When I go to /cgi-bin/testrails/public/index.html, I get the 500
error
 >> defined in the .htaccess file: "Rails application failed to start
 >> properly"
 >>
 >> Running ./dispatch.cgi straight from the shell leaves the following
in
 >> development.log:
 >>
 >> Recognition failed for ""

/home/natevw/devtemp//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.1/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:488:in

 >> `recognition_failed'

/home/natevw/devtemp//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.1/lib/action_controller/routing.rb:478:in

 >> `recognize!'

/home/natevw/devtemp//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.2/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in