Forum: Ruby on Rails How to display numbers or word graphically?

8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
on 2006-04-28 16:47
Some blog sites and others (ticketmaster, for example) require you to
read a graphical representation of a word or number to prevent a form
from being submitted programmatically.

I'd like to do something similar on a new site I'm building.

Two quick questions:

1. Is there a standard term for these graphical representations? i.e.
how would I do a google search for this topic?

2. Anyone know of any existing Rails plugin that could do this for me,
before I try to write my own?

Thanks!

Jeff
softiesonrails.com
13ea48f056b19349027d2f4a6921a46a?d=identicon&s=25 Jean-François (Guest)
Hello Jeff,

> Some blog sites and others (ticketmaster, for example) require you to
> read a graphical representation of a word or number to prevent a form
> from being submitted programmatically.
>
> I'd like to do something similar on a new site I'm building.

Be aware that it will reduce accessibility to your site. Blind visitors
will not be able to authenticate for instance.

> Two quick questions:
>
> 1. Is there a standard term for these graphical representations? i.e.
> how would I do a google search for this topic?

capcha.

> 2. Anyone know of any existing Rails plugin that could do this for me,
> before I try to write my own?

I don't know. Check http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Plugins

   -- Jean-François.
On 28 Apr 2006, at 16:47, Jeff Cohen wrote:

captcha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

> 2. Anyone know of any existing Rails plugin that could do this for me,
> before I try to write my own?

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoSecur...
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
How about this for an alternative?  Instead of generating a random
string of letters in an image, you have a set of really obvious
questions a table - things like 'What colour is the sky?', 'Are trees
green - yes or no?'.  There could either be a small list of answers or a
text field to fill in.

They'd have to be answers that anyone could get but it would stop Bots
getting through.  It'd also not cause problems for users with voice
browsers.

Of course the usability of such a device could be questioned, but surely
it's no worse that having a random set of blurry letters.  A short,
clear explaination would clear up any confusion.

Thoughts?

Steve
B192011964906cffb106241f99cb4c3f?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Dominguez (rdominguez)
Check this page:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoSecur...

I secured my forms in this ways, very easy and very nice

Rodrigo Dominguez

Contra la contaminación de las papeleras.
Por el río Uruguay.
El 30 de Abril en
Gualeguaychú. Yo Voy.

Iplan Networks                Datos Personales
rdominguez@iplan.com.ar       rorra@rorra.com.ar
www.iplan.com.ar              www.rorra.com.ar
5031-6303                     15-5695-6027

Jean-François wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
>> Some blog sites and others (ticketmaster, for example) require you to
>> read a graphical representation of a word or number to prevent a form
>> from being submitted programmatically.
>>
>> I'd like to do something similar on a new site I'm building.
>
> Be aware that it will reduce accessibility to your site. Blind
visitors
> will not be able to authenticate for instance.
>
>> Two quick questions:
>>
>> 1. Is there a standard term for these graphical representations? i.e.
>> how would I do a google search for this topic?
>
> capcha.
>
>> 2. Anyone know of any existing Rails plugin that could do this for
me,

8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
on 2006-04-28 17:33
Stephen Bartholomew wrote:
> How about this for an alternative?  Instead of generating a random
> string of letters in an image, you have a set of really obvious
> questions a table - things like 'What colour is the sky?', 'Are trees
> green - yes or no?'.  There could either be a small list of answers or a
> text field to fill in.
>
> They'd have to be answers that anyone could get but it would stop Bots
> getting through.  It'd also not cause problems for users with voice
> browsers.
>
> Of course the usability of such a device could be questioned, but surely
> it's no worse that having a random set of blurry letters.  A short,
> clear explaination would clear up any confusion.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Steve

That's interesting, Steve.  I feel that the blurred graphics represent a
kind of arms race.  Seems that every few months I see blurrier and
blurrier numbers as they try to keep ahead of the bot technology, but
meanwhile we make it harder on the rest of us.

I really would like to figure out an alternative to the captchas, and
you've given me some food for thought here.

Jeff
6661ef9d747db3af8896cd94959d717d?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Barry (Guest)
Another way I have seen it done is with a simple math problem, like 9 +
2 =
[    ], and you have to enter 11.
4582790b49e9cca7c2d24cbca567ee28?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Sinclair (Guest)
on 2006-04-28 17:39
You can always go with this:

Jeff Cohen wrote:

> That's interesting, Steve.  I feel that the blurred graphics represent a
> kind of arms race.  Seems that every few months I see blurrier and
> blurrier numbers as they try to keep ahead of the bot technology, but
> meanwhile we make it harder on the rest of us.
>
> I really would like to figure out an alternative to the captchas, and
> you've given me some food for thought here.
>
> Jeff
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
That's great but it doesn't solve the problem of voice browsers :0)

Of course, you could include alt tags, but that would kinda defeat the
object :0)

Steve
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
Yeah - it's got me to thinking too :0)

I see it working by having at least 10 questions, randomly selected.
That's going to make it hard for a Bot to work out.  Even if lots of
sites were using this technique, the questions and even the wording
would be at least slightly different.

It's also far easier to explain than a blurry image.

Steve