Forum: Ruby Ruby Size

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
93ee89aa165d0f567b71972285737c4e?d=identicon&s=25 Kuppas Kuppa (kuppas)
on 2006-04-28 00:52
What would be the smallest ruby size?

While building the ruby, a miniruby also build and it's size is 1.6MB?
Can we build a ruby less than 1 MB?

-Kuppa
5d8990b757a1305f8e9100e9e4e5073d?d=identicon&s=25 WATANABE Hirofumi (Guest)
on 2006-04-28 04:24
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

kuppas kuppa <kuppas@gmail.com> writes:

> What would be the smallest ruby size?
>
> While building the ruby, a miniruby also build and it's size is 1.6MB?
> Can we build a ruby less than 1 MB?

% ls -sh miniruby
1.8M miniruby
% strip miniruby
% ls -sh miniruby
676K miniruby
% ./miniruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2006-04-28) [i686-linux]
93ee89aa165d0f567b71972285737c4e?d=identicon&s=25 Kuppas Kuppa (kuppas)
on 2006-04-28 23:33
Thanks for the tip and appreciate your help.

I have couple of more question.

1. Is miniruby self-contained?  (Is depend on any other
files/libraries?)
2. I am not sure, this is the right place to ask. Is mini ruby sufficent
to run the ruby-on-rails?

Thanks,
-Kuppa





WATANABE Hirofumi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kuppas kuppa <kuppas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What would be the smallest ruby size?
>>
>> While building the ruby, a miniruby also build and it's size is 1.6MB?
>> Can we build a ruby less than 1 MB?
>
> % ls -sh miniruby
> 1.8M miniruby
> % strip miniruby
> % ls -sh miniruby
> 676K miniruby
> % ./miniruby -v
> ruby 1.8.4 (2006-04-28) [i686-linux]
38a8230ed3d5c685558b4f0aad3fc74b?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Van Dyk (Guest)
on 2006-04-29 03:47
(Received via mailing list)
On 4/28/06, kuppas kuppa <kuppas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip and appreciate your help.
>
> I have couple of more question.
>
> 1. Is miniruby self-contained?  (Is depend on any other
> files/libraries?)

Assuming you're running Linux...
  $ ldd miniruby
will tell you if it's depending on any shared libraries.

> 2. I am not sure, this is the right place to ask. Is mini ruby sufficent
> to run the ruby-on-rails?

I doubt it.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.