Forum: Ruby on Rails GD2 to Make Charts

46fa933af973ed7e149737c9efecb429?d=identicon&s=25 Gary Huntress (Guest)
I'm just getting started with GD2 and have successfully made a few
dynamic PNGs.   I need to make some fairly detailed line graphs on the
fly and I know that GD2 is capable of what I want but I strongly suspect
I'm reinventing the wheel badly.   Are there gems or other projects that
help creating complex charts?   I've used GDChart in the distant past
but I can't find info about it and ruby.

The specific feature that I need is the ability to control the color of
each datapoint pip.  I'm making statistical process control charts
(XBAR/R) and out of control points should be highlighted in another
color or shape.

Thanks!

Gary
0de83fd56f1af530034ba8efa5490b1b?d=identicon&s=25 Johnny B (Guest)
on 2006-04-27 16:03
Have you had a look at Geoffrey Grosenbach's  Gruff Graphs?

http://nubyonrails.com/pages/gruff
58d6cc890d970ab786d475ed62b460df?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Everett (Guest)
Not sure about GD2, but if you can use ImageMagick/RMagick then the
gruff
gem is really cool.

Jeff
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 16:03 +0200, Johnny B wrote:
> Have you had a look at Geoffrey Grosenbach's  Gruff Graphs?
>
> http://nubyonrails.com/pages/gruff

Yup, Gruff is pretty sweet.  For some discussion of possible Gruff
installation pitfalls, see:

http://tomcopeland.blogs.com/juniordeveloper/2006/...

Yours,

tom
Cd8c9864d88bcafc164d8fdb820cc451?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Richards (chris)
on 2006-04-27 16:52
I hate Gruff.  For very very simple stuff it's ok, but for anything
remotely complex i.e. Most statisitcs graphs, its crap

Maybe its because i'm fustrated with the lack of decent graphing tools
for Ruby.  Yeah, i know there are others, but they are a nightmare to
use.

What i'd do for JFreeChart for ruby.....