Forum: Ruby on Rails HELP!!!! What is the CGIXXXX.YYY stored in /tmp/ ?????

14b7344777a56ac9a1fad849f5d6da2a?d=identicon&s=25 sayoyo Sayoyo (sayoyo)

We have a website which loads a data file and then
create a html file (according to the data file) with
more than thousand of combobox at a time (on the same
page).

The first time we load that page, everything seems
fine. all combobox have been created. But when we load
a second data file (not the same) the system seems to
create some tempoary files which contains the first
choice of the commbobox in string. the tempory, is
name CGI1234.999 the "1234" is the session id, the 999
is a serial  for the combobox (I think). when the
serial pass over 999 (3 digit) then the OS will get an
error, it said can not open more file. then rails will
broke down!!!!!!

Here is my questions

1- Why the first time the system work perfectly, but
not the second???

2- What trigger the tempory files?

3- Why rails (or something else) creates those files?

Thanks you very much for any information!!!!!!!

Saiho

The mind is its own place, and in itself.
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

http://www.geocities.com/sayoyo/

Saiho,

I get those files when I upload files. I have not found those files any
other time so I don't know how else it could be.

Sincerely,

Adrian Madrid
14b7344777a56ac9a1fad849f5d6da2a?d=identicon&s=25 sayoyo Sayoyo (sayoyo)
Hi Adrian

I think I find the "cause", as you said it happens
only when you upload a file, it is because the html
form. when a html form has the attribute "multipart",
it will upload everything which is a string, like file
field, text field, list, and in my case combox. and
for each html component, the "server" or "rails" or
"something else I don't know" will create a temporary
file. and the temporary file will have the name
CGIXXXX.YYY, since there are only 3 digit for YYY, so
It can only have 1000 temporary file, when you have
more than one thousand, the system will tell you it
can not create more tmp file. then the system will
break down.

So I wonder if it is possible increase the number of
tmp file, or find a way to tell the system do not
create tmp files at all.

Do you have any idea????

Thanks you very much for the information!!!!

Saiho

--- Adrian Madrid <aemadrid@gmail.com> wrote:

> > page).
> 999
> but
> >
> protection around
> --
> Adrian Esteban Madrid

The mind is its own place, and in itself.
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

http://www.geocities.com/sayoyo/

When the mulitpart-form uploads the information of the
html components, it uploads everything which contains
strings, like file field, text field, list, combobox.
and for each html component, the "server" or "rails"
or "something else I don't know" will create a
temporary file. and the temporary file will have the
name CGIXXXX.YYY, since there are only 3 digit for
YYY, so It can only have 1000 temporary file, when you
have more than one thousand, the system will tell you
it can not create more tmp file. then the system will
break down.

So I wonder if it is possible increase the number of
tmp file, or find a way to tell the system do not
create tmp files at all or do not do the upload of
certains components.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks you very much!!!

Saiho