Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby/RoR - Lucene integration question ??

Ab07e2adb0bbdef94482be2aa578aebf?d=identicon&s=25 phukan_ruban (Guest)

  I've an application which is built with RoR and a search index in
Lucene. I need to be able to integrate Lucene into the RoR app. What is
the best way to do so ?

 I know that rjni is a ruby-java bridge but is it stable ? Also the
update at http://thekode.net/ruby/rjni/ seems to indicate that it is no
longer under development.

 Thanks.

  Ruban.
E48d29dc8fedb2878fa518d41cc63d88?d=identicon&s=25 JanPrill (Guest)
Hi, Ruban,

as just posted in another thread: Have a look at ferret
(http://ferret.davebalmain.com), which is a full ruby port of lucene.
You'll find performance comparisons on http://blog.davebalmain.com. Dave
is doing a great job!!! Also the article
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8168 might interest you.

regards
Jan Prill
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
Just actually read a bit about Lucene, and found that there is a new
port
called Ferret which you may find interesting.

Might be a more effective shift to move from Lucene to Ferrett then
build a
Ferrett gem to integrate into Rails. I am sure this would be well
received
open project in the Rails community :)

Warmest regards,
Nathan.

Thanks Nathan and Jan for the info about Ferret. This definitely looks
promising.
 But the problem is that the Lucene index is used by various other
applications and  is generated by a different application. I just read
from it and so I can't really move the index to Ferret.

 But if I have to create one myself Ferret would definitely be in one of
my preferences.

Ruban Phukan
24d2f8804e6bb4b7ea6bd11e0a586470?d=identicon&s=25 jeremy (Guest)
Dfc2a545a0c4f542d69f89a782714e8e?d=identicon&s=25 jqshenker (Guest)
Ferret can read indexes generated by Lucene. See "How to use Ferret on
an Existing Java Lucene Index" on
http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac/wiki/HowTos . By "full port", it
means the whole enchilada is there, fully (?) compatible with Lucene.
Actually, once the snazzy new C extensions are integrated, I'll be
faster than the original Lucene. Now isn't that just peachy?

Jacob
Ab07e2adb0bbdef94482be2aa578aebf?d=identicon&s=25 phukan_ruban (Guest)
Thanks everyone. These were all very useful info ... sorry for
overlooking the "full port" part of Ferret earlier.

 Ferret rocks... eagerly waiting for the high speed C extensions.

Ruban Phukan
Eca15b2b601e7e577d38bd5210a753ac?d=identicon&s=25 carl (Guest)
Have the developers considered using RubyInline to optimize Ferret?
That might be better than writing a C module.