Forum: Ruby Ruby/RoR - Lucene integration question ??

Ab07e2adb0bbdef94482be2aa578aebf?d=identicon&s=25 phukan_ruban (Guest)

 I've an application which is built with RoR and a search index in
Lucene. I need to be able to integrate Lucene into the RoR app. What is
the best way to do so ?

I know that rjni is a ruby-java bridge but is it stable ? Also the
update at http://thekode.net/ruby/rjni/ seems to indicate that it is no
longer under development.

Thanks.

 Ruban.
Dd76a12d66f843de5c5f8782668e7127?d=identicon&s=25 mfp (Guest)
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:49:20PM +0900, Ruban Phukan wrote:
>  I've an application which is built with RoR and a search index in
> Lucene. I need to be able to integrate Lucene into the RoR app. What
> is the best way to do so ?
>
> I know that rjni is a ruby-java bridge but is it stable ? Also the
> update at http://thekode.net/ruby/rjni/ seems to indicate that it is
> no longer under development.

rjni is dead.
Try rjb:

http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/backyard/?RubyJavaBridge
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rjb

You can find an excellent review of Ruby-Java bridges and related tools
at
http://jp.rubyist.net/magazine/?0003-RLR  (Japanese).
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
Just actually read a bit about Lucene after your post, and found that
there
is a new port called Ferret which you may find interesting.

Seems CDBaby went down this same path,
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8168.

Might be a more effective shift to move from Lucene to Ferrett then
build a
Ferrett gem to integrate into Rails. I am sure this would be well
received
open project in the Rails community :)

http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac

Warmest regards,
Nathan.

I am to embark on a similar project. Just started reading on it. Isn't
the index file created by Lucene readable from Ruby? I was planning to
index the files via Lucene and use Ruby to read the index file or if I
cannot read the index file from Ruby I plan to expose a webservice from
the Java side and  consume it from the Ruby side.  Looking at
Nathaniel's post about CDBaby, I think I am on the right path.

I am looking at Ferret too but I think Lucene is more matured.
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-19 19:37
iamkris wrote:
> I am to embark on a similar project. Just started reading on it. Isn't
> the index file created by Lucene readable from Ruby?

As I have understood it, Ferret is a full port of Lucene, so you should
be able to use the same index file from Lucene and Ferret.
B5e329ffa0cc78efbfc7ae2d084c149f?d=identicon&s=25 dbalmain.ml (Guest)
On 11/20/05, Kris <iamkris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am to embark on a similar project. Just started reading on it. Isn't
> the index file created by Lucene readable from Ruby?

Hi Kris,
Andreas is correct in stating that Ferret can read the index from Ruby.

> I was planning to
> index the files via Lucene and use Ruby to read the index file or if I
> cannot read the index file from Ruby I plan to expose a webservice from
> the Java side and  consume it from the Ruby side.  Looking at
> Nathaniel's post about CDBaby, I think I am on the right path.

Why use Lucene to index the files when you can use Ferret. If it's
speed you are concerned about, it shouldn't be a problem by the end of
the month. Ferret should be faster than Lucene by then. One good
reason I can think of is that you'll have better support in Java for
indexing PDF's and Microsoft Office Docs. And Unicode is easier in
Java.

> I am looking at Ferret too but I think Lucene is more matured.

This is true in terms of possible bugs. But the index file format and
API are the same.

Anyway, I wish you the best, whatever choice you make.

Cheers,
Dave