Forum: Ruby on Rails O/T: Good OSX Primer

B169bb187529a040c09e5d2744cb710e?d=identicon&s=25 John (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 19:13
A bit off topic, but I know there are a lot of smart Mac evangelists on
the list so I thought I'd pose the question here.

I made the switch to OS X after Apple moved to the x86 platform. Now
that VMWare can be ported to OS X, it's a practical platform for me.

I'm an ex *nix admin, so I 'get the drift'; however, I'm looking for a
good guide to OSX to help the transition. Not so much a 'dummies' guide
on how to organize the family photos, but something outlining idiomatic
usage for productivity-intensive use such as software development.

Any tips?

Thanks
08c61efb47d4b99e8b0b52b10aec3910?d=identicon&s=25 Eduardo Fernandez Corrales (Guest)
Rui Carmo's HOWTO Switch to the Mac is pretty good. It is not focused
on programming, but I find it very useful.

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/Switch%20To%20The%20Mac

Congratulations on your switch.
65c04c5dc6aa662abdd70275b024dbcc?d=identicon&s=25 Raymond Brigleb (Guest)
O'Reilly has some really really good titles for you. Mac OS X Tiger
for Unix Geeks, for example, is a great read. Running Mac OS X Tiger
is good, but not as advanced. And of course, the Tiger Nutshell book
by them is a great reference, like most of the nutshell books.

-ray
On Apr 26, 2006, at 10:13 AM, John wrote:

> A bit off topic, but I know there are a lot of smart Mac
> evangelists on
> the list so I thought I'd pose the question here.
>
> I made the switch to OS X after Apple moved to the x86 platform. Now
> that VMWare can be ported to OS X, it's a practical platform for me.

No need to wait for VMWare:

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

--
-- Tom Mornini