Forum: Ruby on Rails Accessing Ouput from the Shell

3fd22af91a03933f78246e72b5d1d740?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew M. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 17:04
Basically i am running input via rails into ffmpeg which is a shell
program. Is there a way i can take the output of the shell and store it
into a string? or any other form that i can manipulate.

andrew
p.s.  i am trying to read the dimensions of a video file via ffmpeg and
use this value in my rails app.
4daf0b71d5d9a3882e583c0e72eaf5dc?d=identicon&s=25 Alan Francis (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 22:02
Andrew M. wrote:
> Basically i am running input via rails into ffmpeg which is a shell
> program. Is there a way i can take the output of the shell and store it
> into a string? or any other form that i can manipulate.
>
> andrew
> p.s.  i am trying to read the dimensions of a video file via ffmpeg and
> use this value in my rails app.

I seem to remember answering this very question here on the list, and
searching on ruby-forum.com shows it having been asked twice already by
someone called Andrew (you or someone else), and answered twice.

Please see: http://www.ruby-forum.com/search?query=ffmpeg&subm...

for a few answers.

Alan