Forum: Ruby on Rails Writing proprietary application with Rails

Cf985658ff32a83d07cdfaa22c294fe4?d=identicon&s=25 Edgardo Hames (Guest)
Hi guys,

I understand Rails is licensed under the MIT license, does this allow
me to write proprietary applications with Rails?

Thanks a lot,
Ed

--
Encontrá a "Tu psicópata favorito" http://tuxmaniac.blogspot.com

Thou shalt study thy libraries and strive not to reinvent them without
cause,
that thy code may be short and readable and thy days pleasant and
productive.
-- Seventh commandment for C programmers
7438e24e40d16589fd11a5b4b360c4d6?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Ward (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 16:12
37signals, who released RoR and write much of the code, have many
proprietary apps built on rails. There is no clause forcing you to open
source your app.

Edgardo Hames wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I understand Rails is licensed under the MIT license, does this allow
> me to write proprietary applications with Rails?
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Apr 26, 2006, at 7:09 AM, Edgardo Hames wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I understand Rails is licensed under the MIT license, does this allow
> me to write proprietary applications with Rails?

Yes. The MIT license is very similar to the BSD license.... and not
so much like the GPL.

-Robby

Robby Russell
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4968 [fax]
8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 sean lynch (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 16:39
Since you write web based apps with rails, it wouldn't matter if it was
licensed under the GPL.

The code you write for your app is your code, not a derivative of rails,
so you can use your choice of license for your code.

If you host your app on a server, and your users browse to that server.
You never have to distribute your code. If you do redistribute copies of
Rails to your end users you are allowed to under the MIT license, but
you would be allowed to under the GPL as well.

If you choose to distribute your code, then choose an appropriate
license for your code.

Now, If you are planning on taking the Rails code and forking that code
into your own web framework, that's when you have to worry about the
license Rails is under. But that is a completely different situation
than using rails to host an app you are writing.

Heck you can buy a copy of Microsoft's Visual C++ and write proprietary
closed source code with that, or you can write MIT or GPL code with it.
It is under a much more restrictive license than GPL or MIT. The code
you write and the tool you use to write and run it are two different
things.

In the same way, you could use the GPL'd compiler gcc to write closed
source proprietary code if you wished.

(In both the gcc and visual C++ cases, you may not be allowed to include
other people's libraries in your end product depending on their
licenses.)

-Sean