Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR book for beginner

A95a8819dbc5fba613e0bab713eea0fa?d=identicon&s=25 Dany Wu (Guest)
Hi folks,

I see there are two books recommended on the RoR website. As usual I
would like
some recommendation from users on this matter.

I am currently a .NET developer and familiar with a few languages
outside of
.NET. Which one of these books would be suitable for me to get started
with
end-to-end development? Or can someone perhaps recommend a different
book they
found useful?

Many thanks,
Dany.
D90ef6808433e63203e15a5c2dadb0bb?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Reubenstein (Guest)
Hi Dany ~

First Read:

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

I recommend:

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/index.html

~Ben

On 4/25/06, Dany Wu <dany@wu.net.nz> wrote:
> Many thanks,
> Dany.

Ben Reubenstein
http://www.benr75.com
Eb7ed82f3600157bc471efc529acc773?d=identicon&s=25 Amr (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 02:39
Dany Wu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I see there are two books recommended on the RoR website. As usual I
> would like
> some recommendation from users on this matter.
>
> I am currently a .NET developer and familiar with a few languages
> outside of
> .NET. Which one of these books would be suitable for me to get started
> with
> end-to-end development? Or can someone perhaps recommend a different
> book they
> found useful?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dany.

Dany, you might also want to take a look at David Black's recently
released Ruby for Rails (R4R) book along with the PragProg book. I would
recommend them both. R4R maybe a little bit verbose for people who
already know Rails, but for beginners I believe it is an excellent
introduction to Rails along with very informative treatment of the Ruby
language from specifically the Rails framework perspective. It will
definitely help you with some of the Ruby magic that the Rails
developers have used to create this wonderful framework.

http://www.manning.com/black/

There are two chapters available free of charge. You should definitely
look into it.

HTH,

Amr
Quoting Amr <amrmalikNOSP@Mgmail.com>:

>> with
> already know Rails, but for beginners I believe it is an excellent
> introduction to Rails along with very informative treatment of the Ruby
> language from specifically the Rails framework perspective. It will
> definitely help you with some of the Ruby magic that the Rails
> developers have used to create this wonderful framework.
>
> http://www.manning.com/black/
>
> There are two chapters available free of charge. You should definitely
> look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I would probably quite like a
fairly
verbose book to start with. Ruby seems to be fairly loose syntactically
(if
there is such a word?) so a fairly firm guide is needed to start with
:o)

I also kept hearing about difficulties in finding Rails hosting out
there. Have
anyone else found this to be the case in commercial/free hosting
options? other
than running your own server that is....

Cheers,
D.