Forum: Ruby on Rails ImageMagick/Rmagick replacement?

921432719b51a266a06878ff4128a7b1?d=identicon&s=25 Dae San Hwang (Guest)
Hi, everyone!

I have been recently hit by ImageMagick/Rmagick memory leak issues.
I know I can lesson the problem by manually starting up GC each time
I use Rmagick library but ImageMagick seems to use way too much
memory nevertheless.  (on shared hosting setup anyway)

Is there a decent replacement for ImageMagick library?  I used to
think ImageMagick was quite efficient because its speed was order of
magnitude faster than pure java image libraries.  Is it really a
resource hog, or is it just the way it is with image processing?  (I
normally use ImageMagick only for resizing/cropping images, nothing
too fancy.)

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions, thanks!

best,
daesan
3dd4b52a0946bd698b1d1635a46ea3a3?d=identicon&s=25 François Beausoleil (fbeausoleil)
Hi !

2006/4/24, Dae San Hwang <daesan@gmail.com>:
> Is there a decent replacement for ImageMagick library?  I used to
> think ImageMagick was quite efficient because its speed was order of
> magnitude faster than pure java image libraries.  Is it really a
> resource hog, or is it just the way it is with image processing?  (I
> normally use ImageMagick only for resizing/cropping images, nothing
> too fancy.)

Look into MiniMagick:  http://rubyforge.org/projects/mini-magick/

Hope that helps !
921432719b51a266a06878ff4128a7b1?d=identicon&s=25 Dae San Hwang (Guest)
Thank you Francois for the reply.  But MiniMagick also seems to be a
ruby front-end for ImageMagick library, just like RMagick.

cheers,
daesan

On Apr 25, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Francois Beausoleil wrote:

> Look into MiniMagick:  http://rubyforge.org/projects/mini-magick/

Dae San Hwang
daesan@gmail.com
29d82d169c6037d4cbafce0b20fcf04e?d=identicon&s=25 The Barge (thebarge)
on 2006-04-25 21:57
Dae San Hwang wrote:
> Thank you Francois for the reply.  But MiniMagick also seems to be a
> ruby front-end for ImageMagick library, just like RMagick.
>
> cheers,
> daesan
>

> On Apr 25, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Francois Beausoleil wrote:
>
>> Look into MiniMagick:  http://rubyforge.org/projects/mini-magick/
>
> Dae San Hwang
> daesan@gmail.com

Well what's the cause of the memory leak?  ImageMagick or RMagick?  If
it's RMagick then maybe MiniMagick doesn't suffer the same leak
problems?  I need to figure it out one way or another since I've put in
a request with my hosting provider to install RMagick (on a shared
account at that).

So if there are any leak issues and such that may cause problems in my
shared hosting environment I should probably get them to also take a
look at mini magick.
65c04c5dc6aa662abdd70275b024dbcc?d=identicon&s=25 Raymond Brigleb (Guest)
The cause of the memory issues seems to be RMagick, unfortunately.
I've had lots of such problems, but I'm reluctant to rewrite a big
chunk of my code to use MiniMagick because it seems like a "hack." Not
to put down MiniMagick, it's just that I'm hoping RMagick might get
fixed somehow. MiniMagick is just a kind of wrapper that calls
ImageMagick under a separate process, is how I understand it. May be
wrong.
882cc23c77c5c6d27613c51396a02a0d?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Bartholomew (Guest)
I've installed RMagick using the GraphicsMagick library (instead of
ImageMagick) and when using file_column to upload and resize images, i
get serious memory problems too - after the upload, the RAM just fills
up until i kill everything ruby...

Steve
921432719b51a266a06878ff4128a7b1?d=identicon&s=25 Dae San Hwang (Guest)
Whoa, there seems to be many others suffering from this problem!

Read http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?
thread_id=1374&forum_id=1618  You can lesson the problem by manually
calling GC.start

best,
daesan

On Apr 26, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Raymond Brigleb wrote:

Dae San Hwang
daesan@gmail.com
2d1a6a800524db3dd5a6bd7c79ea0e7b?d=identicon&s=25 Peter (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 00:21
Thanks for the link. Very well explained.