Forum: Ruby Ruby programs to learn from.

B1ae5526035e284fb6bfd26f179afc16?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan uUttle (Guest)
on 2006-04-24 00:55
Hello,

I'm sure that this has been covered before, but I'm horrible at doing
searches. I never seem to get the search terms right.

It's often been said that one way to improve upon your programming
skills is to study other people's code. I was wondering there were any
recommendations to some great examples on Rubyforge (or elsewhere) that
would be a good place to start. I am hoping to find some smaller
programs to start with; something I can wrap my brain around and then
start working my way up to larger more complex examples. Programs that
are well documented both in and outside of the code would be great. Mind
you I'm not looking for example to teach me Ruby itself. I am hoping to
expand upon my view on how I approach writing code in general.

Your help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you and peaceful journeys.

JT

"Throw enough rocks at something and eventually it will catch fire" -
EES
B33ea5c12d767bfd1253940a960274f5?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Hunter (timhunter)
on 2006-04-24 01:09
Jonathan uUttle wrote:
> It's often been said that one way to improve upon your programming
> skills is to study other people's code. I was wondering there were any
> recommendations to some great examples on Rubyforge (or elsewhere) that
> would be a good place to start. I am hoping to find some smaller
> programs to start with; something I can wrap my brain around and then
> start working my way up to larger more complex examples. Programs that
> are well documented both in and outside of the code would be great. Mind
> you I'm not looking for example to teach me Ruby itself. I am hoping to
> expand upon my view on how I approach writing code in general.

www.rubyquiz.com
Be3f276f615e29a7c605efd1d3bc3cae?d=identicon&s=25 Mike (Guest)
> how I approach writing code in general.

I think one of the best places to look is www.rubyquiz.com.

1) As of right now, there's 76 different coding exercises listed.
2) You get to see how a bunch of different people try to solve the
problem
3) You get James's excellent breakdown of at least one of those
submitted
solutions

It's been a huge help for me and countless others.

-M
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 4/23/06, Tim Hunter <rmagick@gmail.com> wrote:

> www.rubyquiz.com

+1 on rubyquiz.

Another good source is sitting on you machine:
.../ruby/lib/ruby/...

Doesn't hurt to get to know the internals of at least a couple of the
libraries.  Quite a bit of variety, and many (if not most) are well
documented, or at least commented.
0b561a629b87f0bbf71b45ee5a48febb?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Burt (Guest)
Jonathan uUttle wrote:
> I'm sure that this has been covered before, but I'm horrible at doing
> searches. I never seem to get the search terms right.
>
> It's often been said that one way to improve upon your programming
> skills is to study other people's code. ...

The best way to improve on your programming skills is a combination of
writing and reading. Use the Ruby Quiz that way - have a go yourself,
before you read and study the summary and other solutions.

Cheers,
Dave
B1ae5526035e284fb6bfd26f179afc16?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Tuttle (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 04:04
Thanks for the help so far. I was indeed aware of Ruby Quiz already and
have been working on some of them. I'm quite often amazed at how simple
some of the solutions can be compared to what I've come up with.

Any suggestions for somethings slighty more complicated? I was thinking
along the lines of complete programs and such.

Thanks again for all of your help

JT
On 4/25/06, Jonathan Tuttle <j.tuttle@4077.mash.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far. I was indeed aware of Ruby Quiz already and
> have been working on some of them. I'm quite often amazed at how simple
> some of the solutions can be compared to what I've come up with.
>
> Any suggestions for somethings slighty more complicated? I was thinking
> along the lines of complete programs and such.

Well, it's probably not your average ruby program, but I found this
helpful when I was first learning Ruby.

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?AppDesignWalkthrough
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Jonathan Tuttle wrote:

> Thanks for the help so far. I was indeed aware of Ruby Quiz already and
> have been working on some of them. I'm quite often amazed at how simple
> some of the solutions can be compared to what I've come up with.
>
> Any suggestions for somethings slighty more complicated? I was thinking
> along the lines of complete programs and such.
>
> Thanks again for all of your help

   http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/rq/rq-2.3.1/bin/rq
   http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/rq/rq-2.3.1/lib/

   http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/dirwatch/dir...
   http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/dirwatch/dir...

-a
3dda2c76123692d982b648851f710269?d=identicon&s=25 Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Looks and sound interesting though there's not much meat on the site
(unless I've missed a major hyperlink somewhere). It reminds me of
Donald Knuth's "Surreal Numbers" and his Alice and Bill :)

Bealach
On 4/26/06, Bealach Na Bo <bealach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks and sound interesting though there's not much meat on the site
> (unless I've missed a major hyperlink somewhere). It reminds me of
> Donald Knuth's "Surreal Numbers" and his Alice and Bill :)

Here's the table of contents for the code overview (it's the
'Development Series' link on the main page):
http://www.artcompsci.org/kali/development.html

The discussion about Ruby starts in the 2nd chapter "The 2-Body
Problem: Forward Euler, in Ruby"
http://www.artcompsci.org/kali/vol/two_body_proble...
3dda2c76123692d982b648851f710269?d=identicon&s=25 Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Very nice blend of subjects close to my heart - thanks for putting me
on to this site.

Bealach
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 4/26/06, Bealach Na Bo <bealach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very nice blend of subjects close to my heart - thanks for putting me
> on to this site.

np. If you want more like that, you should check out Ara's SciRuby
project
http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/InterestingProjects
3dda2c76123692d982b648851f710269?d=identicon&s=25 Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Hey! Another treasure trove - thanks :) I've got a lot of reading to
do now......

Bealach