Forum: Ruby on Rails Shattered, the rails-based MVC game development framework

21313f1d5a47c1711ea11e33287078fc?d=identicon&s=25 Martyn Garcia (Guest)
if( you_want_to_make_a_game_with_ruby ) {

http://shattered.hastilymade.com/shattered_ruby.png
http://shattered.hastilymade.com/shattered_ruby.png
http://shattered.hastilymade.com/shattered_ruby.png

Shattered 0.3 has just been released!  Inspired by Ruby on Rails,
Shattered
is doing for game development what rails has done for web development.
  Get it  here !

We've made this release more accessible than ever by focusing on
documentation.

Wiki! Tutorials! API documentation! Forums!

Act now!

Supplies ARE limited.

Shattered is a MVC game development framework built around the same two
principles rails is:

1. Convention before configuration - those things that are common should
be
easy.

2. DRY - Don't repeat yourself - We shouldn't need to type any more than
is
necessary to get something to work.

Shattered sits on top of a powerful, high level c++ 3d graphics library
called  Ogre .

}

 http://shattered.hastilymade.com
D0cd6b10e01bacb976b3b815a9c660bc?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Wayne (Guest)
on 2006-04-23 21:18
Martyn Garcia wrote:
> Shattered sits on top of a powerful, high level c++ 3d graphics library
> called  Ogre .
>
>  http://shattered.hastilymade.com

If you are saying I can create 3d hardware accellerated games with Ruby
then HOLY JEEBUS I LOVE YOU.
03cb7371db223067d0daab54e1f95cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Abdur-rahman Advany (abdurrahman)

I really like the initiative, but are you making this part of a product
you are developing? or just making a framework?

Greets,

Abdul
21313f1d5a47c1711ea11e33287078fc?d=identicon&s=25 Martyn Garcia (Guest)
Hi Abdul,

Good question!  Shattered is being derived from the projects that we
work
on.

So far Shattered has been used with 3 projects.

1.  A space fighting simulation, part of a graduate class
assignment.(titled
'Spaced Out') - completed, but is not going to be released.

2.  A brief RPG set in a corrupt fantasy world. (titled 'Binge') - in
progress

3.  A machinima about Sonic and Mario, for a different graduate class. -
in
progress.  It may be released, unless there are legality issues.

We believe it is important that Shattered continues to be abstracted
from
real game projects.

-Martyn Garcia

Abdur-Rahman Advany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really like the initiative, but are you making this part of a product
> you are developing? or just making a framework?
>
> Greets,
>
> Abdul

03cb7371db223067d0daab54e1f95cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Abdur-rahman Advany (abdurrahman)
Martyn,

To bad, a lot of academic projects seem to disappear after a while. I
think it would be more interesting if there was a company developing it
for commercial interest, if they depended on it..
Like 37signals has profited a lot from the rails project sins it got
open sourced. The same should happen to Shattered if you really like
companies to pay attention to it :)

Abdul
21313f1d5a47c1711ea11e33287078fc?d=identicon&s=25 Martyn Garcia (Guest)
Hey Abdul,

Shattered is not an academic project.  It is an open source project.
I've
already graduated college and I still work on it ;-).

As for a company making the product -- we cannot start a company without
any
capitol.  But give it 1-2 years, and we will have saved the necessary
capital to start a company.

Until then, we are building up our userbase.  37signals did not
immediately
start making money from rails.  It took a while.  We are going for a
linear
growth with shattered.

I assure you Abdul, we're not going anywhere ;-).

Thanks for your constructive criticism,

-Martyn Garcia

Abdur-Rahman Advany wrote:

> Martyn,

> To bad, a lot of academic projects seem to disappear after a while. I

> think it would be more interesting if there was a company developing it

> for commercial interest, if they depended on it..

> Like 37signals has profited a lot from the rails project sins it got

> open sourced. The same should happen to Shattered if you really like

> companies to pay attention to it :)

> Abdul
Cd8c9864d88bcafc164d8fdb820cc451?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Richards (chris)
on 2006-04-23 23:25
Is Shattered just for web games or are you extending rails to be like a
normal app?

Thanks
Chris
D0cd6b10e01bacb976b3b815a9c660bc?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Wayne (Guest)
on 2006-04-23 23:37
Chris Richards wrote:
> Is Shattered just for web games or are you extending rails to be like a
> normal app?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

More like a Rails inspired Framework for standalone 3d games.  It's
actually Rails, just takes the lessons it teaches us for how to make a
rock soild framework.  It hooks into a 3d game engine.

Or so I am assuming based on the wiki and tutorial I jsut did.
21313f1d5a47c1711ea11e33287078fc?d=identicon&s=25 Martyn Garcia (Guest)
Hi Chris,

Shattered has absolutely nothing to do with the web ;-).  Unless someone
writes a networking plugin!

Shattered is made for the creation of realtime 3d games.

Shattered is a DSL(Domain Specific Language) for 3d games, much the same
as
Rails is a DSL for web applications.

The problem domain, however, is significantly different.  The only part
of
Rails that we were able to use was active_support.  Programming in our
architecture, however, will feel right to those who enjoy using Rails.
This
is because Shattered is similiar to Rails in design patterns.

Thanks for your question,

-Martyn Garcia