Forum: Ruby on Rails How to supress field name in error message?

089cc91c7b1dd1d020f0746dac12a85c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Verwer (Guest)
Hi

How do I supress the reporting of a field name in the full error
message? I want the error to be associated with the field so that the
.fieldWithErrors class is applied to the field but I don't want it to
add the field name to the actual error message.

For example:

  errors.add("occurs_on", "The date can't be today!") unless occurs_on
!= Date.today

I would like the error to read:

  The date can't be today!

Rather than:

  Occurs on The date can't be today!

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance
Dave
On 4/22/06, Dave Verwer <dave@dvhome.co.uk> wrote:
> != Date.today

If you don't care about the highlighting part, you can use
errors.add_to_base.
Otherwise, you may want to check this out:
http://www.railtie.net/articles/2006/01/26/enhanci...
089cc91c7b1dd1d020f0746dac12a85c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Verwer (Guest)
Thanks Wilson

I do want to keep it specific to the fields so that they highlight,
the link mentioned in the article you referenced:
  http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Custom+Error+Message

This seems like about the solution I was looking for, however I am not
sure how to install it? It comes with an init.rb file and a lib folder
with one rb file in it. I have put the init.rb in my project root and
the other file into my lib folder but it doesnt seem to override the
class.

Anyone any ideas?
That's a Rails 'plugin', so you need to extract it into the
vendor/plugins/ folder under your Rails project root.
There are some brief instructions at the bottom of the page:
http://www.railtie.net/articles/2006/01/26/enhanci...
089cc91c7b1dd1d020f0746dac12a85c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Verwer (Guest)
Thanks Wilson, that works.

Dave