Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] ActiveRBAC 0.3.1 Released

54532f023496410e0d7b1add5561ba45?d=identicon&s=25 Manuel Holtgrewe (Guest)
Hi

I am happy to announce the 0.3.1 release of ActiveRBAC Engine. The
biggest improvement on the 0.3 release is that it runs with Rails 1.1
now.

Get your personal copy now from

   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/releases :)

There is a manual PDF with a tutorial available at

   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/releases/Activ...

which is also included in the full downloads.

What is ActiveRBAC?
-------------------

ActiveRBAC is a Ruby on Rails library that provides a full stack RBAC
(Role Based Authorization) system with user, group, role and
permission management. It provides models and controllers to edit
those models (obviously it should also provide views which it does ;))

Useful URLS:

   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com           - the project's page
   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/api/      - API documentation
   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/releases/ - download it here
   https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/source/   - our SVN repository
is here

If you have any questions or suggestions for us, contact us via our
mailing list (or contact me directly if you prefer that):

   rbac-dev@lists.cloudcore.com

You can sign up here:

Changelog
---------

* The RDOC documentation now only contains the API reference. The
manual is available as a PDF at https://activerbac.turingstudio.com/
releases/ActiveRbacManual.pdf (#121)
* Fixed the namespace problem of controllers & models (#119)
* Fixed a problem with the "railfix" code in Rails 1.1 (#114)
* ActiveRBAC now runs with Rails 1.1 (tested with 1.1.2) (#118)
* The files in app/model become stubs which simply import the
ActiveRBAC mixins. This should make extending Models in your own code
easier. (#112)
* Moving the constants User::DEFAULT_PASSWORD_HASH_TYPES and
User::DEFAULT_STATES to private class methods with lowercased names.
(CHECK FOR DEPENDENCY IN YOUR CODE)
* Renaming the "redirect_to" parameter/session variable nam of
LoginController to "return_to" (#103)
* Adding "all_static_permissions" method to User. (#109)
* Adding Version identifier as described in http://api.rails-
engines.org/engines/classes/Engine.html (#104)
* Removing 3 lines from user_controller.rb that expected
InvalidStateTransition to be thrown (#113)
* adding support for redirect_to feature to LoginController (#100)
* Adding migration for schema import
* fixing a documentation issue (#94)
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi, I'm attempting to go through the tutorial and I'm getting the
following error when I try to import the SQL.

mysql -uuser_name -ppassword activerbac_demo_db < create.mysql.sql

BEGIN ERROR:

ERROR 1005 (HY000) at line 4: Can't create table
'./activerbac_demo_db/articles.frm' (errno: 150)

END ERROR:

BTW, I'm using the MySQL 5.0.20a-debug on a Mac OS X 10.4.6.  Well, I
must go and thanks in advance to a resolution.

-Conrad
Am 22.04.2006 um 15:22 schrieb Conrad Taylor:

> Hi, I'm attempting to go through the tutorial and I'm getting the
> following error when I try to import the SQL.
>
> mysql -uuser_name -ppassword activerbac_demo_db < create.mysql.sql
>
> BEGIN ERROR:
>
> ERROR 1005 (HY000) at line 4: Can't create table
> './activerbac_demo_db/articles.frm' (errno: 150)

This problem seems to be related to your MySQL installation. I don't
use MySQL so I can't help you there :/

*m
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi, after readying the ActiveRBAC, I will also need to be able to do
the following:

1)  create new user (i.e. registration/signup)
2)  retrieve lost password
3)  add/modify/delete other items

Now, I'm guessing that I can simply add additional items to my user
model to do (1).  Next, each user will also be able to edit one or
more additional items.  These items are different from the
registration/profile data.  Would it be a good practice to create a
model for each one of these items and add links to admin page to these
different views.  For example,

AdminController <-> User
AdminController <-> Listings
AdminController <-> Out Of Town

which result in a view, admin.rhtml, that has links to these separate
areas or I can simply add it to the admin.rhtml view:

User Section  (has_one :user)
Listings Section (has_one :user)
Out of Town Section (has_one :user)

Does this sound reasonable?  Well, I must go and thanks in advance.

-Conrad
54532f023496410e0d7b1add5561ba45?d=identicon&s=25 Manuel Holtgrewe (Guest)
Conrad,

Can you subscribe to the ActiveRBAC mailing list and resend this mail
to there? Currently, I do not have the time to answer your mail but I
am sure that someone on the list will be able to help you.

You can sign up for the list and find more information about it here:

Manuel
25bbc96d9c53647354cb724e744b2222?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Freemyer (Guest)
On 4/22/06, Manuel Holtgrewe <purestorm@ggnore.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am happy to announce the 0.3.1 release of ActiveRBAC Engine. The
> biggest improvement on the 0.3 release is that it runs with Rails 1.1
> now.

<snip>
> * Fixed the namespace problem of controllers & models (#119)

Just an FYI, that I had a namespace issue with ActiveRBAC last week.

It was not a controller or model, but it was with:
   - the "user" table in the DB
   - the user helper
   - and an instance variable of @user (I think that was mine, not
ActiveRbac).

The conflict was with tracks which has its own authentication system
and designed to be standalone, not added to an app like I did, so it
is probably not surprising.

Regardless, maybe there is even more ActiveRBAC can do to avoid name
collisions.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer