Forum: Ruby on Rails freeze_gems not freezing all gems?

Ecf21acef6f0e0d734051c7392207d2f?d=identicon&s=25 Nauhaie (Guest)

I am currently experimenting on rake freeze_gems and there is something
I do not understand.

When I freeze_gems my app, it puts Rails in the /vendor/ directory,
which works. But what about all other gems I have installed (for example
Unicode, sqlite support, mysql support and so on)?

The aim of freezing is to be independant of the versions of the ISP, but
it seems that the server still needs to have extra gems installed...
Huh?

Thank you!
D0cd6b10e01bacb976b3b815a9c660bc?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Wayne (Guest)
on 2006-04-22 13:07
Nauhaie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently experimenting on rake freeze_gems and there is something
> I do not understand.
>
> When I freeze_gems my app, it puts Rails in the /vendor/ directory,
> which works. But what about all other gems I have installed (for example
> Unicode, sqlite support, mysql support and so on)?
>
> The aim of freezing is to be independant of the versions of the ISP, but
> it seems that the server still needs to have extra gems installed...
> Huh?
>
> Thank you!

As far as I know, freeze_gems only deals with the rails gems.  You still
remain dependant on all other ruby gems.
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hey Nauhaie, I believe the below link should allow you to achieve your
goal:

http://nubyonrails.com/articles/2005/12/22/freeze-...

It would be nice if this step was integrated into 'rake freez_gems'.
Thus, I have following question:

What commands one must execute to deploy an application to a shared
host?

-Conrad
Ecf21acef6f0e0d734051c7392207d2f?d=identicon&s=25 Nauhaie (Guest)
on 2006-04-22 20:27
Ok, I think freeze_other_gems will do the job!

Thank you a lot!