Forum: Ruby on Rails Gems installation into custom directory

783fed8af50259766b40d2f550ec5974?d=identicon&s=25 zven (Guest)
I it possible to install gems into custom directory (user dir)? There no
any specific parameters in setup.rm I don't wanna see unpackaged
binaries into my Debian system ;) Or maybe someone can send me a link
with .deb's?

Thanks in advance.
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
hey, they are packaged, but with gem and not with dpkg ..
A0ed1bbfe42f4f87e6db0a16706246e2?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Greenly (mgreenly)
on 2006-04-22 16:00
zven wrote:
> I it possible to install gems into custom directory (user dir)? There no
> any specific parameters in setup.rm I don't wanna see unpackaged
> binaries into my Debian system ;) Or maybe someone can send me a link
> with .deb's?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My prefered approach has been to build ruby from scratch in /usr/local
and install gems there.  It keeps all the locally installed componenets
completely seperate from the distribution but still works exactly like
everyone elses ruby install.
A0ed1bbfe42f4f87e6db0a16706246e2?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Greenly (mgreenly)
on 2006-04-22 16:02
Michael Greenly wrote:

> My prefered approach has been to build ruby from scratch in /usr/local
> and install gems there.  It keeps all the locally installed componenets
> completely seperate from the distribution but still works exactly like
> everyone elses ruby install.

Here's a howto I wrote for myself on my last Ubuntu install... it should
be the same for debian.  http://mgreenly.metaspot.net/?p=37