Forum: Ruby on Rails Scaling Rails with Apache 2.2, mod_proxy_balancer and Mongre

6805b35d0a8ea3ede0a7da2d4cf5ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Weiss (Guest)
Cheers,

I've just published a blog post about scaling Rails with Apache 2.2,
mod_proxy_balancer and Mongrel. This way you do not need another proxy
server or load balancer for Mongrel. Just use Apache 2.2 and mod_proxy
balancer.

http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2006/04/21/scali...

Jonathan
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
How does page caching (at the webserver) work in such a setup ?
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Very sweet Jonathan, I'm working on some mongrel documentation on
various
deployment scenarios.  I'll probably just refer to your posting for the
Apache best practice if you don't mind.  If you think this posting will
move
around then would you mind letting me steal it as "official
documentation"?
It will be your work and authored by you, just sitting on the
mongrel.rubyforge.org site.

Oh, and I saw your posting to the mongrel-users list, but I have a habit
of
aborting unregistered posting these days.  You see, for some very weird
reason mongrel-users is getting about 10 Japanese school girl porn
messages
a day so my rejection is on auto-pilot.  Sorry.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
Zed Shaw wrote:
> Very sweet Jonathan, I'm working on some mongrel documentation on various
> deployment scenarios.  I'll probably just refer to your posting for the
> Apache best practice if you don't mind.  If you think this posting will move
> around then would you mind letting me steal it as "official documentation"?
> It will be your work and authored by you, just sitting on the
> mongrel.rubyforge.org site.

I do not think that the post will move but you can also put it on
mongrel.rubyforge.org if you like.

Jonathan
Roberto Saccon wrote:
> How does page caching (at the webserver) work in such a setup ?

It depends.

You can tell Apache to serve all the static files, then page caching
should be no problem.

You can also mount /public through NFS & co on all cluster nodes so that
they share the file cache.

We only use fragment caching (with memcached) so I had no urge to look
further into page caching.

Jonathan