Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Problem with Mongrel, Rails and web services using xmlrp

<snip>

> Are you inside a Rails controller/action and then trying to
> connect back to the same Rails application via xmlrpc?
> Mongrel has to lock Rails to keep it sane, so if you're
> inside a Rails app, and then connect back to the same app via
> HTTP you'll get a dead-lock.

Nope.  This is just an external script I use as a sanity check.

> Also, can you run your setup with "mongrel_rails start -B"
> and see what headers are being dumped in the
> log/mongrel_debug/rails.log?

Running that sample script doesn't appear to generate anything
in the rails.log file. Odd.

> Finally, can you shoot me the other half of the sample or a
> simplified xml-rpc rails test case?  With that I can run it
> through and make sure it always works with Mongrel in the future.

# hardware_api.rb under /app/apis
class HardwareApi < ActionWebService::API::Base
   api_method :find_hardware_by_id,
      :expects => [:int],
      :returns => [Hardware]
end

# hardware_service.rb under /app/apis
class HardwareService < ActionWebService::Base
   web_service_api HardwareApi

   # Returns a Hardware object by id.
   def find_hardware_by_id(id)
      Hardware.find(id)

# hardware.rb under /app/model
class Hardware < ActiveRecord::Base
   set_table_name "hardware"
   has_many :schedules
end

The HardwareController is pretty straightforward, as is the
hardware table.

Is there anything I've missed that you need?

Thanks,

Dan
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
On 4/21/06 3:08 PM, "Berger, Daniel" <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:

> [...]

Seriously?  No way.  Either the request is getting blocked as bad HTTP
or
something else is up because the rails.log is written long before rails
is
even touched.  If you're not seeing anything there then the request
isn't
event going to the right place.

>> Finally, can you shoot me the other half of the sample or a
>> simplified xml-rpc rails test case?  With that I can run it
>> through and make sure it always works with Mongrel in the future.
>
> snip

> Is there anything I've missed that you need?

Nope, that should do it.  I'll test it out late tonight and see what's
up.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/