Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby, Rails & Linux - Which distro ??

82fc129ad085e61bb6351515524ba00c?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)

I've been doing most of my initial playing with rails on a windows
system - but wish to switch to a dedicated linux box for this.

Are there any particular distro's to avoid / recommend. I prefer debian
for my other stuff, but thought i'd ask before going ahead. :)

Cheers
41e1579600683eed6c00af9a425268e6?d=identicon&s=25 Edward Frederick (Guest)
Debian Sarge works great.

Cheers,

Ed
541de6f34272a6c4315bf451a7e6c8d0?d=identicon&s=25 will (Guest)
Edward Frederick wrote:
> Debian Sarge works great.

I will second that, apart from getting lighttpd working which is a
complete pain in the arse.  Such a pain in the arse that I used Apache
and mod_fcgid instead
(http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Debian+mod...).

It has been fine so far.  Where I had previously had stability issues
with mod_fcgi, mod_fcgid is working great.

Will.
675475d0b65710be6d992eb5eb2c61c2?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:56:02PM +0100, will wrote:
} Edward Frederick wrote:
} >Debian Sarge works great.
}
} I will second that, apart from getting lighttpd working which is a
} complete pain in the arse.  Such a pain in the arse that I used Apache
} and mod_fcgid instead
} (http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Debian+mod...).
}
} It has been fine so far.  Where I had previously had stability issues
} with mod_fcgi, mod_fcgid is working great.

I never tried anything other than Apache2 + mod_fcgid, and I had little
trouble setting it up. I use a Debian Testing/Unstable mix (though I'd
use
sarge for deployment).

Incidentally, if you want rubygems (you probably do) and you want to
keep
them in /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib (following Debian policy),
you'll need to do some work. I'm including a shell script that will let
you
install gems in /usr/local (or wherever). There is also some attempt to
wrap gems in Debian packages so that they are managed by apt/dpkg, but I
don't know how far that effort has gotten.

Also, anything you can install via apt (e.g. RMagick, native postgresql
ruby
driver, etc.), you should.

} Will.
--Greg

#!/bin/sh

if test $# -ne 1 || test ! -d "$1"
then
	echo "Usage: $0 <destination dir>" >&2
	exit 1
elif test ! -r setup.rb
then
	echo "Please run from the toplevel RubyGems source directory" >&2
	exit 2
fi

PREFIX="`sh -c \"cd \"$1\"; /bin/pwd\"`"
GEM_HOME="$PREFIX/lib/site_ruby/gems"
export GEM_HOME

if test -d "$GEM_HOME"
then
	cat <<-EOF >&2

	The GEM_HOME directory already exists. Overwriting an existing
	install will not work well. If you intend to reinstall, please
	first remove $GEM_HOME

	EOF
	exit 3
elif ! mkdir -p "$GEM_HOME"
then
	cat <<-EOF >&2

	Perhaps you meant to install as root?

	EOF
	exit 4
fi

while test ! -e "$GEM_HOME/bin"
do

	echo -n "Where should executables be installed [$GEM_HOME/bin]? " >&2
	read dest

	if test "$dest" = "" -a "$dest" = "$GEM_HOME/bin"
	then
		dest="$GEM_HOME/bin"
		mkdir "$dest"
	elif test -d "$dest"
	then
		dest="`sh -c 'cd \"$dest\"; pwd'`"
		ln -s "$dest" "$GEM_HOME/bin"
	else
		echo "You must choose an existing directory." >&2
	fi
done

ruby setup.rb config --prefix="$PREFIX"
--siteruby=\$prefix/lib/site_ruby && \
ruby setup.rb install

cat <<EOF >&2

Be sure to set the GEM_HOME environment variable in your shell's
init/config file to '$GEM_HOME'

For Bourne shell derivatives, add the following lines to your
~/.profile or the system-wide /etc/profile:

	GEM_HOME="$GEM_HOME"
	export GEM_HOME

For C shell derivatives, add the following line to your ~/.cshrc
(or ~/.tcshrc) or the system-wide /etc/csh.cshrc:

	setenv GEM_HOME "$GEM_HOME"

EOF
exit 0

USERID="`id -ru`"
DFLTSHELL="`grep ':'$USERID':' /etc/passwd | head -1 | cut -d: -f7`"

PREFIX="/tmp/$$"
$DFLTSHELL -c "export HOME && touch $PREFIX.sh || touch $PREFIX.csh"
2>/dev/null

if test -e $PREFIX.csh
then
	cat <<-EOF >&2

	Your shell seems to be a C shell derivative. Be sure to add the
	following line to your ~/.cshrc (or ~/.tcshrc) and/or the
	system-wide /etc/csh.cshrc:

	setenv GEM_HOME "$GEM_HOME"

	EOF
	rm -f $PREFIX.csh
elif test -e $PREFIX.sh
then
	cat <<-EOF >&2

	Your shell seems to be a Bourne shell derivative. Be sure to add
	the following lines to your ~/.profile and/or the system-wide
	/etc/profile:

	GEM_HOME="$GEM_HOME"
	export GEM_HOME

	EOF
	rm -f $PREFIX.sh
else
	cat <<-EOF >&2

	Cannot determine your shell. Be sure to set the GEM_HOME
	environment variable in your shell's init/config file to
	'$GEM_HOME'

	EOF
fi
A90204c955db033cd975f7bb0ec9600b?d=identicon&s=25 Ashley Moran (Guest)
On Friday 21 April 2006 12:29, Guest wrote:
> I've been doing most of my initial playing with rails on a windows
> system - but wish to switch to a dedicated linux box for this.
>
> Are there any particular distro's to avoid / recommend. I prefer debian
> for my other stuff, but thought i'd ask before going ahead. :)

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting the Linux kernel
underneath your
software, you could look at FreeBSD.  The base system is stable, easy to
use
and easy to keep up-to-date, and the ports tree is huge and well
maintained.
I've never used lighttpd on it (I'm looking at that next), but have no
trouble with Apache.

Ashley
42cedda59f33ad059cf95f423f564d7a?d=identicon&s=25 Poe (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 15:13
I moved from debian to ubuntu and I'm very happy

Guest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing most of my initial playing with rails on a windows
> system - but wish to switch to a dedicated linux box for this.
>
> Are there any particular distro's to avoid / recommend. I prefer debian
> for my other stuff, but thought i'd ask before going ahead. :)
>
> Cheers
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
Will, I tried to get Apache working previously with Debian and
performance was horrible.  This box was also serving PHP stuff.  I
implemented Lighttpd and it works well, but I have some plesk driven
boxes that I would like to get an Apache solution going.  So you would
recommend giving it another try?

Michael
A4a8fefcbd2cd6d2370609a5e2a3a389?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Merrell (Guest)
I know that some people are going to cringe at the thought of this, but
my
company's production server is hosted with rackspace, which uses RHEL.
Everything was pretty easy setting up except for the mysql gem was
giving me
segfaults, which was rackspace's issue of not updating all the packages
that
they should have (I blogged about it at http://www.migrob.com).  Overall
we
have been very pleased with the performance that we have been getting.
When
we write our rails applications we develop them locally, and run an svn
server on Kubuntu's Dapper Drake RC 6 for the dev boxes and Kubuntu
Breezy
Badger for the svn server.  Both have proven rock solid for us.

my $0.02

Rob
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
I've been contemplating a move from Debian Sarge stable to either
Debian Unstable, Gentoo or FreeBSD for my workstations. I am thinking
of doing this in anticipation of ruby-1.8.4 being required for rails
development. (not yet but may be at 1.2?) I don't think Sarge will be
upgraded to it any time soon, if at all. Gentoo seems great but the
initial build can be a pain.

The only question I have about FreeBSD is whether it plays well on
laptops and if so which ones. I did a bit of googling on the subject
and I don't see any newer laptops on the list. I'd like to go with
coreduo with 667MHz RAM. Ofcourse an obvious option is the Macbook
Pro. I was a bit surprised to see that most good brand name coreduo
laptops with similar specs of a Macbook Pro are atleast as expensive.
I am very familiar with and addicted linux/emacs. apt-get(on Debian)
and all things Linux. So this can be painful transition both on my
pocket book and my psyche :)

-bakki
A8e44ce1b57c2689d5a7172d15df42b5?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Ford (brixen)

I've been doing development using Rails 1.0, 1.1.x, and Edge on Ubuntu
Dapper Drake. I did a dist-upgrade from Breezy Badger because the isos
weren't released yet. Dapper now has a package for lighttpd (I've
installed it but haven't used it yet). This is on a Dell Inspiron 5150
and the only special thing I needed was the windows driver for
ndiswrapper to get the wi-fi working. Everything else has worked, in a
word, like a charm.

In my experience with number of distros, for a personal laptop, Dapper
comes as close to using a mac as I've gotten.

Brian
A4a8fefcbd2cd6d2370609a5e2a3a389?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Merrell (Guest)
Ruby 1.8.4 is extremely easy to compile and manage the install
especially
when using debian based systems and checkinstall
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Rob
On Apr 21, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> O fcourse an obvious option is the Macbook
> Pro. I was a bit surprised to see that most good brand name coreduo
> laptops with similar specs of a Macbook Pro are atleast as expensive.
> I am very familiar with and addicted linux/emacs.

OS X appears to ship with emacs built in:

   GNU Emacs 21.2.1
   GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
   You may redistribute copies of Emacs
   under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
   For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

And, there's a system called DarwinPorts that is quite nice.

And, with BootCamp, if you don't like OS X, you can keep your Mac
and install Linux.

--
-- Tom Mornini
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)

I've been wondering about this. I had installed checkinstall-1.5.3-3
on my Sarge box which depends on Installwatch 0.6.3. The thing that
scared me and stopped me from compiling Ruby-1.8.4 was this bit in the
readme file  ...
"The Debian support in CheckInstall is still new, so handle it with
care. It has been reported to work OK in some Debian systems and it
certainly works  OK in my Slackware development system". I didn't want
a broken Ruby.

The current version of checkinstall is 1.6.0. The site doesn't say
anything about whether it still works with Installwatch0.6.3.

Would you please tell me what versions you've been using (I am
assuming that you have done this on Sarge).

Thanks,

bakki
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
Tom,

It is certainly tempting but for the hefty price tag of the Mac.

While not identically equipped, there are coreduo laptops like the
HPdv8233cl at
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=...
which has the 1.66GHz coreduo but has 1GB 6678MHz RAM, two 100GB hard
drives (!!) which will let me have dual boot with XP on HD1 and Linux
or FreeBSD or whatever on HD2. It also has a  gorgeous brightview 17"
1440x900 display, 6-in-1 card reader, ethernet + ABG wireless
etc...Lot of machine for about $1000 less than Macbook Pro.  Weighs a
couple pounds more than the MacBookPro at 8.1 lbs.

Every time I see the Mac I do get tempted (I used to be a Mac
developer since 1984 till they almost went under) and all nostalgic
BUT once I get past all the eye candy I feel it is just as useful a
machine as any  similar PC laptop with FreeBSD or LInux no more no
less.

-bakki
> Every time I see the Mac I do get tempted (I used to be a Mac
> developer since 1984 till they almost went under) and all nostalgic
> BUT once I get past all the eye candy I feel it is just as useful a
> machine as any  similar PC laptop with FreeBSD or LInux no more no
> less.
>
> -b

Except that a MacBook will run MacOS and a similar PC laptop
won't :-) Also, the fact that MacBook Pros stand out between other
laptops because of their Aluminum look is good for your company's
image. Add that to a Keynote presentation in a demo (just after
they've seen 10 blant PowerPoint standard template presentations) and
it can really give you the edge you need to get the order.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
Peter,

I agree that Apple hires the best industrial designers out there and
their computers have always stood out and look great. I am still
pondering whether the MacbookPro is $1,000 more great :)

-bakki
A4a8fefcbd2cd6d2370609a5e2a3a389?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Merrell (Guest)
Bakki,

I did it with Kubuntu Breezy Badger a few months ago, and have installed
Dapper Drake since then which has a package for ruby 1.8.4.  So
unfortunately I can't look up the version of checkinstall that I was
using.
Sorry.  So whatever version happens to be in the ubuntu repo's worked
perfectly for me.

Rob
27c57aaa4bda5ac8b0593659573b522f?d=identicon&s=25 Blair Zajac (Guest)
Gregory Seidman wrote:
> } with mod_fcgi, mod_fcgid is working great.
> don't know how far that effort has gotten.
Check out this package

http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/breezy/lib...

These were built on Ubuntu Breezy, but they should work on Debian.

It installs all the gems into /var/lib/gems and if you --purge it, it'll
remove
the directory and all the gems.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair@orcaware.com>

On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> It is certainly tempting but for the hefty price tag of the Mac.

That's an abrupt change of opinion in under 4 hours. :-)

--
-- Tom Mornini
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
On 21 Apr 2006, at 22:44, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> I agree that Apple hires the best industrial designers out there and
> their computers have always stood out and look great. I am still
> pondering whether the MacbookPro is $1,000 more great :)

Although I must say I'm pretty biased about opinion towards Apple, I
have been using about every operating system out there and found
MacOS to strike the delicate balance between a graphical user
interface and the raw unix power. I've had my fair share of Mac and
PC laptops (HP, Dell, Sony) and the only one that still runs very
smoothly after four years without any costs, is my PowerBook 867, I
still use it every day for more than 11 hours. Also, I started out
with MacOS 10.2 and upgrading to a new version of the MacOS has made
my PowerBook faster each time, this can't be said from Windows or Linux.

To put it in one sentence, I don't mind the $1000 extra if it allows
me to save more than that by using my Mac for a few years longer.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
On Friday 21 April 2006 16:51, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> The only question I have about FreeBSD is whether it plays well on
> laptops and if so which ones. I did a bit of googling on the subject
> and I don't see any newer laptops on the list. I'd like to go with
> coreduo with 667MHz RAM. Ofcourse an obvious option is the Macbook
> Pro. I was a bit surprised to see that most good brand name coreduo
> laptops with similar specs of a Macbook Pro are atleast as expensive.
> I am very familiar with and addicted linux/emacs. apt-get(on Debian)
> and all things Linux. So this can be painful transition both on my
> pocket book and my psyche

I use FreeBSD on all our servers because it's the best free OS for
amd64,
providing you have compatible hardware.  I also use it on my desktop,
but
that's only because they won't buy me a Mac :)

I've never used apt-get, but FreeBSD ports is great and DarwinPorts is
at
least as good.  It doesn't have as many ports, but everything you need
for
Rails is in there.

As much as I like FreeBSD and KDE, it can still take a lot of work to
get
running on the desktop (that said, I've never used a Linux desktop to
compare).  PCBSD may interest you ( http://www.pcbsd.org/ ) as the final
release is due soon.  Hopefully they won't be long behind the 6.1
release.
FreeBSD now has a binary Java package which means installing RadRails is
no-brainer.

Overall though, if you want a laptop for Rails development I'd say if
you are
prepared to spend the money then definitely go with the MacBook Pro.  OS
X is
absolutely rock solid, and you get to run TextMate :)

Ashley
Bakki Kudva wrote:
> I've been contemplating a move from Debian Sarge stable to either
> Debian Unstable, Gentoo or FreeBSD for my workstations. I am thinking
> of doing this in anticipation of ruby-1.8.4 being required for rails
> development. (not yet but may be at 1.2?) I don't think Sarge will be
> upgraded to it any time soon, if at all. Gentoo seems great but the
> initial build can be a pain.

Gentoo "stable" is currently still at Rails 1.0, I think. Gentoo is
pretty good about getting version bumps into the unstable/testing
repository, if that matters to you. For example, Rails 1.1.2 was
available in Portage a day or so after it escaped from DHH and company.

If you've got a few machines, you can minimize the pain of Gentoo
compilation with "distcc" and "ccache" and "buildpkg" features. It's a
tad tricky to set up, but you can even do the initial build with
"distcc" and "ccache".

For that matter, you don't lose a heck of a lot by using "O2" for
optimization and compiling everything for "i686", which will run on a P2
or better. I've got three different types of machines, and I have had
good luck with the i686 trick.

Just out of curiosity, since you mentioned Debian and Gentoo, what about
the "other community distro," Fedora? :)
> The only question I have about FreeBSD is whether it plays well on
> laptops and if so which ones. I did a bit of googling on the subject
> and I don't see any newer laptops on the list. I'd like to go with
> coreduo with 667MHz RAM. Ofcourse an obvious option is the Macbook
> Pro. I was a bit surprised to see that most good brand name coreduo
> laptops with similar specs of a Macbook Pro are atleast as expensive.
> I am very familiar with and addicted linux/emacs. apt-get(on Debian)
> and all things Linux. So this can be painful transition both on my
> pocket book and my psyche :)

Hey, if you *want* to spend money on a laptop, get a nice 64-bit Turion
with a wide-screen. :)

>>> for my other stuff, but thought i'd ask before going ahead. :)
>> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
Gentoo, of course :).

Guest wrote:

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
A4a8fefcbd2cd6d2370609a5e2a3a389?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Merrell (Guest)
I ran Gentoo for a number of months, and switched because it became a
part
time job to administer my machine.  I would say go with a Debian based
distro.

Rob
9b17b318a4e4cc850617920971453408?d=identicon&s=25 Benigno Uria (Guest)

As I'm finishing a new web I'm testing the deployment using Debian Sarge
(I used windows for development) and found it easy (even to setup
lighttpd). I followed the instructions written here:

http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
You should really compare again. You will see that the MacBook Pro has
actually similar price as laptops with similar hardware. A quick
glance at dell.com makes the price for a similar dell to be around
$1800 and you still have left to add external stuff to have the built
in features of a MBP.

Apple is more expensive yes. But it's only like $150 more expensive at
most.

Michael Trier wrote:
> Will, I tried to get Apache working previously with Debian and
> performance was horrible.  This box was also serving PHP stuff.  I
> implemented Lighttpd and it works well, but I have some plesk driven
> boxes that I would like to get an Apache solution going.  So you would
> recommend giving it another try?

I tried apache + mod_fcgi about a year ago and the stability was lousy
so I switched to lighttpd.

Now I am using apache + mod_fcgid and for what I am using it for it is
fine.  It has been completely stable and there have been no performance
issues.  None of my sites are particularly heavily used however so YMMV.

If you have lighttpd working then you may aswell stick with it unless
you need a feature that only apache supports or does better.

Will.
E54a059675e8e64474988e2faffdcb3b?d=identicon&s=25 ix (Guest)
on 2006-04-25 11:31
> time job to administer my machine.  I would say go with a Debian based
> distro.

unless you get a macbook, or any new hardware really. then i'd want
gentoo - spyderous's overlay has some trunk ebuilds for xorg and with
them you can get XGL running on the MacBook..

just setting it up for a friend. the 1.83g Duo compiled glibc in 25.5
minutes.. for comparison, my (both 2.0g amd64) notebook/shuttle
connected via distcc took 22 minutes. so its pretty fast..

rails? installed in about 2 seconds