Forum: Ruby BBEdit, Ruby and Intel Macs

C143acf82f94860ef6e2cba52b2de831?d=identicon&s=25 Greg (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 01:27
Can anyone verify (as in "yes" or "no") that the Ruby language module
for BBEdit located here:

http://www.rubygarden.com/ruby/ruby?action=browse&...

does not work on Mac Intel machines? I copied the plugin to this
location on my iMac:

Users/~/Library/Application Support/BBedit/Language Modules/

then opened up BBEdit and it still does not recognize Ruby files in the
"all readable files" list, nor does it properly colour code an .rb file
...? What gives? Shouldn't Rosetta be able to handle the translation?
On Apr 20, 2006, at 7:27 PM, Greg wrote:

> then opened up BBEdit and it still does not recognize Ruby files in
> the
> "all readable files" list, nor does it properly colour code an .rb
> file
> ...? What gives? Shouldn't Rosetta be able to handle the translation?

I can't "verify" anything since I don't have an Intel Mac, but if you
are using the Universal Binary for BBEdit, I don't believe Rosetta is
capable of translating a dynamically loaded library for a different
architecture. Have you tried running an older version of BBEdit, one
that is PPC only?

Of course the whole arch. thing could be a red herring.
C143acf82f94860ef6e2cba52b2de831?d=identicon&s=25 Greg (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 02:22
Logan Capaldo wrote:
>Have you tried running an older version of BBEdit, one
> that is PPC only?

Nope. haven't done that. I'm assuming that'll work though ...
2abf5beb51d5d66211d525a72c5cb39d?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Battley (Guest)
On 21/04/06, Greg <gmacgregor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Logan Capaldo wrote:
> >Have you tried running an older version of BBEdit, one
> > that is PPC only?
>
> Nope. haven't done that. I'm assuming that'll work though ...

You can also force a Universal application to run its PPC code with
Rosetta (use 'Get Info' in the Finder) - that's necessary to be able
to use PPC plugins.

Paul.
C143acf82f94860ef6e2cba52b2de831?d=identicon&s=25 Greg (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 21:03
Paul Battley wrote:
> You can also force a Universal application to run its PPC code with
> Rosetta (use 'Get Info' in the Finder) - that's necessary to be able
> to use PPC plugins.

Did this and the module still isn't working.
On Apr 21, 2006, at 2:04 PM, Greg wrote:

> Paul Battley wrote:
>> You can also force a Universal application to run its PPC code with
>> Rosetta (use 'Get Info' in the Finder) - that's necessary to be able
>> to use PPC plugins.
>
> Did this and the module still isn't working.

I really don't mean to start an editor war, but I feel like I can say
this as a guy who worshiped BBEdit for years:  you really should
download TextMate and give it a test drive.  It's cheaper, Ruby aware
out-of-the-box, has significantly more powerful automation, and is
Universal Binary today.  I've switched over and am very, very
satisfied.  It's at least worth a look, I say.

James Edward Gray II