Forum: Ruby on Rails fit testing, FitNesse

5b132632f47e8c7e2a83157cef4649c8?d=identicon&s=25 Agnieszka Figiel (agnessa)
on 2006-04-20 21:45
Hello,

this is a typical "how do you do it in Rails" question :) I would like
to incorporate fit testing into a RoR app and I'd like to hear your
recommendations on how to do it. In the ideal world I would like all the
table test definitions and implementations stored in svn together with
the app, ability to run the tests with a rake task + a hook to FitNesse,
so that non-developers can easily see and run the tests (not necessarily
modify them). Feasible? If anyone has experiences please share! Also,
which Ruby implementation of FIT are you using?

--
Agnieszka
822a498b26a2cb7d1f0f2e7e37ce61b2?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Howland (Guest)
> Hello,
>
> this is a typical "how do you do it in Rails" question :) I would like
> to incorporate fit testing into a RoR app and I'd like to hear your
> recommendations on how to do it. In the ideal world I would like all the
> table test definitions and implementations stored in svn together with
> the app, ability to run the tests with a rake task + a hook to FitNesse,
> so that non-developers can easily see and run the tests (not necessarily
> modify them). Feasible? If anyone has experiences please share! Also,
> which Ruby implementation of FIT are you using?

Well, we looked into this as well, and decided (for now) to go with
Rails 1.1
integration testing. We have implemented a small DSL that lets the
tests be stated in a straightforward way (English-like,) just how
Jamis has it in his blog.

Our customer didn't want to fire up a ruby IDE to enter tests however.
So I am not sure how to meet that requirement yet. First thoughts:

Use REXML to parse XHTML table.
extract the DSL code
wrap in ruby syntax (pull in Test::Unit::TestCase, our DSL module etc.)
dynamically eval resulting Ruby string.
use Test::Init::Util::Observable to listen to test results,
output that in HTML/XML+CSS

Ed