Forum: Ruby NYC Ruby Job Fair =?iso-8859-1?q?=8B?= April 25th

8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
=== NYC Ruby Job Fair -- April 25th

The NYC Ruby meetings lately have looked a lot like middle school
dances.
On one side of the room is people saying, "Gee, I wish I could work
full-time doing Ruby or Ruby on Rails."  On the other side of the room
are
companies saying, "Wow, those Ruby people sure look cute, I wish they
would
all come work for me." The music is playing, the love if flowing, but
nobody's dancing.

The April 25th meeting will be a Job Fair where companies or recruiters
can
feel safe to talk about what they need while Ruby aficionados can hand
out
resumes to try and get their dream gigs.

For this one night and one night only we will be sacrificing the
non-profit
purity of the Ruby community to the god of CASH.  If you have a problem
with
this, then please don't come.  The next Ruby meeting will be the nice
lovable communist group you remember.  But April 25th is all about the
greenbacks.

== The Location

If the group is small we'll still have it at the EastMedia offices like
normal.  If the group is large we'll be looking to move the meeting to a
larger location near by.  If we need a larger location then we may
postpone
the job fair until a later meeting so that we can get sponsorship.

== The Details

The general plan is to keep things loose and let companies or recruiters
give a short pitch about what they need.  After all the companies have
talked about what they need we'll have a 30 minute refreshments break
where
people interested in the company can give out their resume and chat
further.

To keep things smooth we've come up with a few rules:

REPRESENTATIVES

1. There will be NO PROJECTOR.  Last thing we want is a 30 minute power
point.  If you want to show people something then bring a laptop for
after
your presentation.  There is wireless internet.
2. Try to keep your pitch quick and to the point and shoot for the
softer
sell.
3. Be prepared to answer some difficult technical questions and
questions
about the company.  This especially applies to recruiters who are
notorious
for not being allowed to say anything about the company.
4. There will be a bunch of talk about Canada on Rails after the Job
Fair.
You may not be terribly interested in it, but if you're serious about
hiring
a Ruby person you might want to stick around and listen.
5. Many programmers have been burned by the dot-com bust a few years
back.
Be prepared to talk about benefits, expected work hours, whether people
get
paid for working extra, and longevity.

RUBYISTS

1. Be fair to other people and let others talk to the representatives
too.
2. Don't be mean or insulting to representatives because of where they
work
or whether they are a recruiter or not.  We want everyone to have a
positive
experience.
3. Make sure your resume is clean, has your required information, and
that
you bring enough copies.
4. Don't run around like a whore giving your resume out to everyone with
business card.  It's degrading.

EVERYBODY

1. Don't talk salary at the meeting, save that for later.  This tends to
make everyone uncomfortable.
2. People interested in talking more after we start to go over Canada on
Rails should probably go hit a bar, restaurant or coffee shop in the
area to
talk shop more privately.

These "rules" are open for suggestion since this is our very first job
fair.
If anything makes you uncomfortable or you think should be done
different
then feel free to e-mail me (see below).

== Representatives RSVP With Zed

In order to judge what kind of space we'll need we'd like the
representatives (companies or recruiters) to RSVP.  After we have all
the
requests we'll determine a time limit and maybe possibly look for a
larger
venue.

Send a short e-mail to me (Zed A. Shaw) with what company you'll
represent
or whether you're a recruiter for many companies and if you'd like a
little
blurb in the listing we'll post later.

My e-mail address is zedshaw@zedshaw.com.

== Interested Rubyists RSVP With Francis

You don't *have* to do this but we'd like to judge whether we have
enough
space.  Please send a short e-mail to Francis Hwang  just saying you'll
attend.  This is mostly for a head count.

Francis' e-mail is sera@fhwang.net.
4b174722d1b1a4bbd9672e1ab50c30a9?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Leavengood (Guest)
On 4/20/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
> === NYC Ruby Job Fair -- April 25th

Interesting idea. If there happens to be an overflow of
representatives and not enough Rubyists going around at the meeting,
maybe you could hook up other Rubyists from around the country if the
representatives are interested in telecommuters.

Just an idea. I would certainly appreciate getting some contacts, as
I'm sure others would who are looking to jump into the Ruby job
market.

FYI I'm located in South Florida.

Regards,
Ryan

P.S. Yes I meant this to go to the whole list :)
On 4/20/06, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
> > === NYC Ruby Job Fair -- April 25th
>
> Interesting idea. If there happens to be an overflow of
> representatives and not enough Rubyists going around at the meeting,
> maybe you could hook up other Rubyists from around the country if the
> representatives are interested in telecommuters.

NYC.rb tends to get at least 20 or so Rubyists per meeting... and
they've been growing like crazy.  But that might not be a bad idea.
Of course, my vote would only be half of a vote, since I come down
from New Haven like some sort of fanboy every month :)
C402e1150580c153c1368573f70e7e82?d=identicon&s=25 Cody Skidmore (cskidmore)
on 2006-04-20 19:50
DOH!  Ruby-want-to gets no love in Lubbock Texas.  :o)  Bummer.  Well,
Guess I'll have to wait unti the job fair gets a little close.
34f159f89cbd1d9beac0276f5a7af552?d=identicon&s=25 John Gabriele (Guest)
On 4/20/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> they've been growing like crazy.  But that might not be a bad idea.
> Of course, my vote would only be half of a vote, since I come down
> from New Haven like some sort of fanboy every month :)

Note, there seems to be some effort in starting up a Stamford group (
http://stamfordruby.com/ ), but I don't know how much interest they've
gotten.

Any idea if any of these representatives are recruiting for CT jobs?
0817571d150afead454f4220007042fe?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Desmarais (Guest)
John Gabriele wrote:
>>> maybe you could hook up other Rubyists from around the country if the
> http://stamfordruby.com/ ), but I don't know how much interest they've
> gotten.
>
> Any idea if any of these representatives are recruiting for CT jobs?

I guess this Stamford group thing slipped by me (and maybe all of the
other New Haven Rubyists).  I'd like to invite all of you Stamford
Rubyists to come join us at our next meeting in New Haven.  It should be
happening on Wednesday, May 10th (the second Wednesday of the month).
You can find out more about us at newhavenrubyists.org!

Um, this goes for any other ruby folk in CT as well.  I mean, you don't
_have_ to be in Stamford.
On 4/20/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note, there seems to be some effort in starting up a Stamford group (
> http://stamfordruby.com/ ), but I don't know how much interest they've
> gotten.
>
> Any idea if any of these representatives are recruiting for CT jobs?

Hmm... that's exciting, I didn't know they were starting up.  Maybe I
can get in touch with the stamford guys and see if we could host a CT
job fair between our two groups (new_haven.rb / stamford) if we can
find sufficient interest.
On 4/20/06, Matthew Desmarais <desmarm@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess this Stamford group thing slipped by me (and maybe all of the
> other New Haven Rubyists).  I'd like to invite all of you Stamford
> Rubyists to come join us at our next meeting in New Haven.  It should be
> happening on Wednesday, May 10th (the second Wednesday of the month).
> You can find out more about us at newhavenrubyists.org!
>
> Um, this goes for any other ruby folk in CT as well.  I mean, you don't
> _have_ to be in Stamford.

Also, for those traveling via train, I usually go from downtown new
haven directly over to ISG (our meeting place), and then I usually
take the train after the meetings, so a carpool can probably be
arranged.