Forum: Ruby Re: Gateway (was Re: Symbol#to_proc is just so beautiful)

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 TRANS (Guest)
Eric and Ryan,

You guys got it backwards, man. I easily deal with all the messages
precisely because I don't receive any emails at all! I use Google
Groups, personally, but there's also Gmane and news2mail.com (and
others probably).  But Google Groups only works if the gateway is up.
Which means right now I'm forced to do a separate email and thus this
message won't be properly linked to it's reference post. A proper
gateway should reference correctly. Also, even using email, you should
not be receiveing two copies of every post when the gateway working.
Something's not working as it should if you are.

As for increased noise to signal. We have lots on "nubys" now becuase
of Rails. That's not the lists fault or the gateway's fault. If
anything at all should be done about it, it would  mean creating a
separate nuby list, or v-v, an experts list. But then you have the
problem of those two groups communicating less --which isn't really
good either.

T.
On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:30 PM, TRANS wrote:

> You guys got it backwards, man. I easily deal with all the messages
> precisely because I don't receive any emails at all! I use Google
> Groups, personally, but there's also Gmane and news2mail.com (and
> others probably).  But Google Groups only works if the gateway is up.
> Which means right now I'm forced to do a separate email and thus this
> message won't be properly linked to it's reference post. A proper
> gateway should reference correctly. Also, even using email, you should
> not be receiveing two copies of every post when the gateway working.
> Something's not working as it should if you are.

Google groups requires an internet connection.  Google groups doesn't
allow me to automatically filter messages with arbitrary scripts
(like I do with IMAPCleanse).  Internet tools just don't cut it for
the volume of email I receive especially since I'm not always
connected to the internet.

I don't receive two copies of messages when the gateway is working,
but might if there are two gateways stomping all over each other.

> As for increased noise to signal. We have lots on "nubys" now becuase
> of Rails. That's not the lists fault or the gateway's fault. If
> anything at all should be done about it, it would  mean creating a
> separate nuby list, or v-v, an experts list. But then you have the
> problem of those two groups communicating less --which isn't really
> good either.

The quality of each group of users is different.  By combining them
all together you make busy, knowledgeable rubyists less like to read
or respond to any messages due to the overwhelming influx of low-
quality mail they don't have time to filter.

While I haven't taken a scientific survey, I've seen worse questions
coming from the forum than either the mailing list or the gateway.
I've never noticed the gateway being broken, but when somebody
mentions its brokenness I've always perceived higher quality mail on
the list during that period.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com