Forum: Ruby on Rails Capistrano from windows to linux.

C0cb3aadb9a66d00df16686f4a1fc312?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Uckun (Guest)
There seems to be a bug when deploying a rails application developed
in windows to a linux box. The rake deploy command attempts to run the
command "/install/path/current/script/process/reaper" but the files do
not have the execute bit set.

What can I do to make sure either the execute bit is run or prepend
the command with sh or ruby?

Thanks.
437ee3e09fe9539cdec6ba44153186cd?d=identicon&s=25 Will Emigh (Guest)
on 2006-04-19 02:06
There's probably an easier way to do it, but I added a task to
deploy.rb:

# Makes reaper and dispatch.fcgi executable
task :after_update_code, :roles => [:web, :db, :app] do
  run "chmod 744 #{release_path}/script/process/reaper"
  run "chmod 744 #{release_path}/script/*"
  run "chmod 744 #{release_path}/public/dispatch.fcgi"
end

-- Will

Tim Uckun wrote:
> There seems to be a bug when deploying a rails application developed
> in windows to a linux box. The rake deploy command attempts to run the
> command "/install/path/current/script/process/reaper" but the files do
> not have the execute bit set.
>
> What can I do to make sure either the execute bit is run or prepend
> the command with sh or ruby?
>
> Thanks.
6559f9b9607a89074ea5e238d31ffbc2?d=identicon&s=25 Kelly Felkins (Guest)
The problem is that the file is originally checked in on windows and
windows
has no execute bit for files.

In SVN you can set the property of the file so that when checked-out on
system that supports an execute bit it will be set.

Setting the executable bit is actually one of the examples given in the
propset documentation:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svn...

Once you do that the reaper will have the execute bit set. Then you may
discover other challenges...

Good luck,

-Kelly
C0cb3aadb9a66d00df16686f4a1fc312?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Uckun (Guest)
Thanks that worked like a charm.