Forum: Ruby RI documentation for RubyGems

Can anyone explain how the RI documentation for RubyGems may be:

1) generated

2) subsequently accessed via RI?

Any info. is appreciated - my research tells me that this is/may be
working but it's unclear.  Sounds like a relatively recent development.

Thanks,
Wes
171a9b5755cdb090e0c2b3c20a521fbc?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Hagelberg (Guest)
Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> writes:

> Can anyone explain how the RI documentation for RubyGems may be:
>
> 1) generated
>
> 2) subsequently accessed via RI?

I think if you do an 'rdoc -R' in your gems directory it will create
ri-accessible documentation. When I did this, it took an exceedingly
long time to finish, so I'm wondering if there's a better way to do
it.

-Phil Hagelberg
Phil,

Which directory is the correct one to do it in?

Wes

Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> writes:
>
>> Can anyone explain how the RI documentation for RubyGems may be:
>>
>> 1) generated
>>
>> 2) subsequently accessed via RI?
>
> I think if you do an 'rdoc -R' in your gems directory it will create
> ri-accessible documentation. When I did this, it took an exceedingly
> long time to finish, so I'm wondering if there's a better way to do
> it.
>
> -Phil Hagelberg
171a9b5755cdb090e0c2b3c20a521fbc?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Hagelberg (Guest)
Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> writes:

> Which directory is the correct one to do it in?

On my system (Ubuntu) it's /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

I don't know that it would be consistent across platforms.

-Phil Hagelberg
A9b6a93b860020caf9d2d1d58c32478f?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 05:12 +0900, Wes Gamble wrote:
> Can anyone explain how the RI documentation for RubyGems may be:
>
> 1) generated
>
> 2) subsequently accessed via RI?

If you don't care about the regular rdoc (for gem_server), this might
help:

12271b6df73fe29930d65586be5a4a70?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Howell (Guest)
On Apr 18, 2006, at 13:55, Phil Hagelberg wrote:

> Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> writes:
>
>> Which directory is the correct one to do it in?
>
> On my system (Ubuntu) it's /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
>
> I don't know that it would be consistent across platforms.

Doesn't that depend on the question? If Wes wants documentation for
Gems that he has installed, on my system, they're in (installation
root)/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/(individual gems)

However, RubyGems couldn't install itself as a Gem, so it's in
(installation root)/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems

On Mac OSX, (installation root) has defaulted to /usr/local, although I
installed Ruby 1.8.4 in /Library/Ruby instead.

To make ri documentation for RubyGems itself, you'd go to the latter
directory, then run rdoc. You'll have to figure out if you want to use
-r or -R. I got tired of playing guessing games with ri, so I generate
all my RDoc files as HTML now.
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-04-19 02:21
Wes Gamble wrote:
> Can anyone explain how the RI documentation for RubyGems may be:
>
> 1) generated
>
> 2) subsequently accessed via RI?
>
> Any info. is appreciated - my research tells me that this is/may be
> working but it's unclear.  Sounds like a relatively recent development.

This won't help you immediately, but the next version of rubygems will
generate the RI docs for each installed gem automatically.  We will
probabaly release a gemri command that will pick up the gem'ed RI docs
as well.  (gemri is just a simple wrapper that setups up the right
paths).

--
-- Jim Weirich