Forum: Ruby on Rails Would you switch jobs for the chance to use Textmate?

6c90780b16377d116c831b9329886e95?d=identicon&s=25 Dave O'Really (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 21:12
Lets say you had a pretty decent job, but your company mandated use of
emacs. The poaching employer offers you a free copy of Textmate(tm).

Would you jump ship solely in order to use Textmate at company B?

Cheers,

Dave
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 4/17/06, Dave O'Really <orly@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lets say you had a pretty decent job, but your company mandated use of
> emacs. The poaching employer offers you a free copy of Textmate(tm).
>
> Would you jump ship solely in order to use Textmate at company B?

A company that mandates your text editor likely gives you many other
political reasons to leave.  But changing jobs for a text editor alone
is stupid.  Seriously, the question doesn't even make any sense.
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-04-17 21:37
Dave O'Really wrote:
> Lets say you had a pretty decent job, but your company mandated use of
> emacs. The poaching employer offers you a free copy of Textmate(tm).

is this a joke? are they hiring?
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-04-17 21:44
> is this a joke? are they hiring?

i mean the place that mandates emacs..

you can get emacs to behave just like textmate, but you do need to
install a bout a dozen scripts, then add various snippets for each to
your .emacs file. then disable XFT hinting so that the fonts look like
OSX. the time spent doing this, in dollar value, will easily equal or
susrpass the amount paid for TextMate..
58213d4c1552914aaa20e9cab0010149?d=identicon&s=25 David N. Welton (Guest)
cdr wrote:
>>is this a joke? are they hiring?
>

> i mean the place that mandates emacs..
>
> you can get emacs to behave just like textmate, but you do need to
> install a bout a dozen scripts, then add various snippets for each to
> your .emacs file. then disable XFT hinting so that the fonts look like
> OSX. the time spent doing this, in dollar value, will easily equal or
> susrpass the amount paid for TextMate..

Problem?  No, an opportunity for some enterprising emacser:

"EmacsMate for ruby on rails hacking"

Emacs bundled with all the stuff you need...

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/
27c170f482104299af279902be0a9c26?d=identicon&s=25 Trevor Squires (Guest)
Hey,

I can't quite decide if this is just flamebait or if you're just
young/inexperienced (don't take offence, we're all inexperienced at
various times and there' s no shame in it).

Assuming it's more likely that you're inexperienced I'd have to say
this:

* As a developer, the time you spend thinking is more valuable/
enjoyable than the time you spend typing.  Editors make a difference
(in Java, IDEA let me type as fast as I could think) but not nearly
as much as developing good habits such as (IMHO) commitment to
testing etc.

* The quality of problems that a company asks you to solve will
affect your satisfaction much more than an editor ever can.

* If you're considering leaving your current company (for whatever
reason) then that is your cue to just go.  Maybe not to the company
giving away copies of TextMate but *somewhere*, and pretty soon.

Seriously, if you're considering jumping ship over an editor then you
can't be all that satisfied with what your employer is giving you in
the areas that are truly important.  You're not a typist, you're a
developer.

Good luck,
Trevor
--
Trevor Squires
http://somethinglearned.com
James Ludlow wrote:

>A company that mandates your text editor likely gives you many other
>political reasons to leave.  But changing jobs for a text editor alone
>is stupid.  Seriously, the question doesn't even make any sense.

Whats wrong with emacs?

--
Nicolas Kassis
That's a pretty bizarre question, but I'll take a shot at it.

Hell, NO!

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
F3dc06f587d1ff4c7366b102bfda9204?d=identicon&s=25 David Mitchell (Guest)
Textmate is an editor, not a lifestyle or something glamourous.  Emacs
is more of a lifestyle than Textmate, but it's still fundamentally a
text editor.

It's like asking "Would you change jobs for a better bus trip to work
each day?".

Oh, and my answer is "no".

Regards

Dave M.
2f9a03aa0fcfe945229cb6126eda2cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)

> Whats wrong with emacs?

Nothing really... it's a good OS... if it just had a decent editor...

:-)
5c0f4e71d9d0b71b8b60a2693df1571a?d=identicon&s=25 Deirdre Saoirse Moen (Guest)
On Apr 17, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Dave O'Really wrote:

> Lets say you had a pretty decent job, but your company mandated use of
> emacs. The poaching employer offers you a free copy of Textmate(tm).
>
> Would you jump ship solely in order to use Textmate at company B?

Yes, unless the employer I was leaving had daily massage therapy for
RSI prevention.

Oh, wait, I already work at an employer where I use TextMate. Never
mind.

Seriously, though, if an employer is not interested in the best
productivity choice for the employee, they have other problems.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
On 20 Apr 2006, at 00:23, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

> for RSI prevention.
>
> Oh, wait, I already work at an employer where I use TextMate. Never
> mind.
>
> Seriously, though, if an employer is not interested in the best
> productivity choice for the employee, they have other problems.

Exactly, and the company won't go bankrupt over Textmate either :-)

Best regards

Peter De Berdt