Forum: Typo Typo as a Google Summer of Code project?

6d5602ac22cc57505c0d3a24b3d63108?d=identicon&s=25 Tyler Prete (Guest)
I'm not exactly sure who the best person to send this idea to would be,
so I
am just sending it to this list.  My apologies if it does not belong on
here.  Google just announced their 2006 Summer of Code, and they are
looking
for mentor organizations.  I am going to apply, and I would really love
work on something Ruby-related, such as Typo, and I'm sure there are
other
people with the same attitude.  I am not exactly sure of the rules for
organizations, but I think it would at least be worth looking into.

Here is the link to the Mentor FAQ:
http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html

Thanks,
--Tyler Prete

P.S.  I see that as of today, Ruby Central has registered as an
organization, and is looking for ideas and mentors.  I'm not sure if
Typo
could/would want to go through them but it is an idea.
Dc3f3775a7d03ba1be8958aaee881d6b?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Laird (Guest)
I can help with this, but I don't have a clue what the rules are
fororganizations.  I can ask around inside of Google if I need to.
Atthe very least, the sponsoring organization needs to exist as a
legalentity, because they get paid $500 per project that is completed.
Worst-case, Google itself can sponsor the project and I can act as
amentor.  If anyone has any good project ideas that would be good for
asummer's worth of programming, let me know.
Although, frankly, I suspect that someone could start from scratch
andre-implement all of Typo in less time then that :-).

Scott
On 4/17/06, Tyler Prete <psyonic@gmail.com> wrote:>> I'm not exactly
sure who the best person to send this idea to would be, so I> am just
sending it to this list.  My apologies if it does not belong on> here.
Google just announced their 2006 Summer of Code, and they are looking>
for mentor organizations.  I am going to apply, and I would really love
to> work on something Ruby-related, such as Typo, and I'm sure there are
other> people with the same attitude.  I am not exactly sure of the
rules for> organizations, but I think it would at least be worth looking
into.>> Here is the link to the Mentor FAQ:>
http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html>> Thanks,> --Tyler Prete>>
P.S.  I see that as of today, Ruby Central has registered as an>
organization, and is looking for ideas and mentors.  I'm not sure if
Typo> could/would want to go through them but it is an idea.>>

I think you should check out the eligibility requirements for mentor
organizations via the mentor faq at
http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html#5 - As far as I am aware the
organization need not be a non-profit or even an organization (an
individual qualifies as a mentor organization).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
09e350bfc64f256f1ff126f767f67597?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Chanezon (Guest)
Hi Tyler,
I'd be delighted to see some work done on Typo (this is the engine I use
for
my blog).
I think it would be easier if you applied through rubycentral.
It would be good to have all the summer of code ruby projects gathered
by
rubycentral.

David Black created a page to gather proposals, you should add yours
there.
http://www.rubycentral.org/soc2006/

P@
09e350bfc64f256f1ff126f767f67597?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Chanezon (Guest)
resending after resubscribing in typo-list with my gmail address.
Hi --

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Patrick Chanezon wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
> I'd be delighted to see some work done on Typo (this is the engine I use for
> my blog).
> I think it would be easier if you applied through rubycentral.
> It would be good to have all the summer of code ruby projects gathered by
> rubycentral.
>
> David Black created a page to gather proposals, you should add yours there.
> http://www.rubycentral.org/soc2006/

I've taken it on myself to update that page based on incoming
suggestions, and I'm a few days behind... but now adding things on.

David

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black