Forum: Ruby on Rails Slow-down with Capistrano?

3319ab6fb19fcf97c8a3d66b8a9b68bf?d=identicon&s=25 Josh on Rails (Guest)
This could be entirely my imagination, but it _feels_ like my apps are
ever
so slightly less responsive after deploying with Capistrano.

Is that even possible?
992fe8c19bbbc27f2b562a9f96efc03d?d=identicon&s=25 Jamis Buck (Guest)
On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Josh on Rails wrote:

> This could be entirely my imagination, but it _feels_ like my apps
> are ever so slightly less responsive after deploying with Capistrano.
>
> Is that even possible?

I hesitate to ever say ANYTHING is impossible, but I will say it is
extremely unlikely. Capistrano does not muck with your app's runtime
environment.

If you have a custom deployment recipe, it may be that your recipe is
doing something that is resulting in the slow-down, but if your app
is slow, it is almost certainly due to something other than Capistrano.

- Jamis
On Apr 17, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:

> If you have a custom deployment recipe, it may be that your recipe
> is doing something that is resulting in the slow-down, but if your
> app is slow, it is almost certainly due to something other than
> Capistrano.

It *does* add an extra level of indirection in file
access via the 'current' symlink in the standard
configuration, but I have to agree that it's *highly*
unlikely anyone would notice that at the other end
of the pipe. :-)

--
-- Tom Mornini
3319ab6fb19fcf97c8a3d66b8a9b68bf?d=identicon&s=25 Josh on Rails (Guest)

In the old way ("ftp these files to the server") I kept
server/environment-specific files out of Subversion. In Capistrano,
these
files stay in Subversion.

Long story short, make sure you set things up for Production /
dispatch.fcgi.
Development / dispatch.Cgi is *slow*.