Forum: Ruby Ruby Game Programming

32ba8c5c148da2653028dc7f8066b810?d=identicon&s=25 Doug Bromley (ashiro)
Hi All

There is quite a lot of resources in the Python community for "Python
game
programming".  I just wondered if there were any resources for game
programming in the Ruby arena?
A16652fd5d83c0473bd1e39d9a2117a6?d=identicon&s=25 Dirk Meijer (Guest)
hi Doug,
i was wondering about the same a few months back, and i would really
like to
recommend ruby/gosu (http://www.raschke.de/julian/gosu/)
i've heard of something called blunyx, but that's not user-ready yet.
i think gosu does fine. in fact, i think gosu does great, it's easy to
use,
fast enough and not too hard to pack in an .exe application
greetings, Dirk.

2006/4/15, Doug Bromley <doug.bromley@gmail.com>:
40b8ef8518829533bc6969596e211275?d=identicon&s=25 John M. Gabriele (Guest)
--- Doug Bromley <doug.bromley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> There is quite a lot of resources in the Python community for "Python game
> programming".  I just wondered if there were any resources for game
> programming in the Ruby arena?

http://rubygame.seul.org/
Ad4caa46eebe9347305177fc33468563?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Nelson (Guest)
On a related note, is there a module out there for
shaders?

I didn't see one so I started building one for Cg
little a bit ago.

--- "John M. Gabriele" <john_sips_tea@yahoo.com>
Ad4caa46eebe9347305177fc33468563?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Nelson (Guest)
On a related note, is there a module out there for
shaders?

I didn't see one so I started building one for Cg
little a bit ago.

--- "John M. Gabriele" <john_sips_tea@yahoo.com>
E20e89d58211a3631842daecc1245de2?d=identicon&s=25 Ilmari Heikkinen (Guest)
There's ruby/glew that lets you use GLSL shaders and some other GL
extensions:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyglew
8f59dd1756c99858d05f25217b2ac3ff?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Woodward (Guest)
I am writing a small game engine and I wanted to use ruby and sdl but
I am writing for osx and linux. The problem is that I have only found
one account on the net on how to get SDL working on osx and its using
something called RSDL. The download for RSDL isn't available any more.
I am writing all of the graphics code in c and I wanted to use ruby to
drive the game.

Does anyone have any opinions on this approach with respect to speed,
ease of use, etc or has anyone downloaded the RSDL and can put it up
on some hosting or email it to me?
C363de83c027342b5a3a2c946a6bd4ce?d=identicon&s=25 Barry Dmytro (Guest)
I'm in the process of writting a ruby game library with curses as its
base.  I've not released any code yet, but if you are interesed drop me
a line.  Progress has greatly slowed lately, but I hope to get it done
by the end of the year.

* Doug Bromley (doug.bromley@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> There is quite a lot of resources in the Python community for "Python game
> programming".  I just wondered if there were any resources for game
> programming in the Ruby arena?
Kind Regards,
E0ed615bd6632dd23165e045e3c1df09?d=identicon&s=25 Florian GroÃ? (Guest)
Carl Woodward wrote:

> I am writing a small game engine and I wanted to use ruby and sdl but
> I am writing for osx and linux. The problem is that I have only found
> one account on the net on how to get SDL working on osx and its using
> something called RSDL. The download for RSDL isn't available any more.
> I am writing all of the graphics code in c and I wanted to use ruby to
> drive the game.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions on this approach with respect to speed,
> ease of use, etc or has anyone downloaded the RSDL and can put it up
> on some hosting or email it to me?

Ruby-Gosu is usually faster than SDL (3D-accelerated), does more and is
easier to use, in my opinion.

It works on OS X, Win32 and Linux (though it has a few dependencies when
compiling from source).
On Apr 16, 2006, at 3:40 AM, Carl Woodward wrote:

> I am writing a small game engine and I wanted to use ruby and sdl but
> I am writing for osx and linux. The problem is that I have only found
> one account on the net on how to get SDL working on osx and its using
> something called RSDL. The download for RSDL isn't available any more.
> I am writing all of the graphics code in c and I wanted to use ruby to
> drive the game.

I have the tarball for rsdl if you still want it. Mail me directly if
so.

> Does anyone have any opinions on this approach with respect to speed,
> ease of use, etc or has anyone downloaded the RSDL and can put it up
> on some hosting or email it to me?

Don't worry about speed at this time, that isn't your concern until
it is actually slow. Why are you writing the graphics code in C? If
you are doing that, then rsdl isn't of much interest to you (it is
only 13 lines of C). Ruby isn't the best thing in the world to embed
either, esp for games where you need to reset the runtime and the like.