Forum: Ruby "Ruby for Rails" now available in PDF!

Hi everyone --

Writing from Canada (just finished attending Canada on Rails, which
was a big success), to let you know that my book "Ruby for Rails: Ruby
techniques for Rails developers" has now been released in PDF by
Manning Publications, with the paper publication to follow in the
first week of May.  You can order either or both at the Manning
website.

Manning has been having some website issues (they've been doing a
whole huge migration), so please be patient as you step through the
slightly rocky landscape :-)

When you go to http://www.manning.com/black, you may be asked to click
through to another site (secure.manning.com), which is their backup
sales site during the transition.  If so, just click through and there
you'll be.

And please drop by the Author Online forum at
http://www.manning-sandbox.com/forum.jspa?forumID=200!

David

P.S. There are two sample chapters available for free.  They're on the
http://www.manning.com/black site (not yet on the other, I think), so
check there first :-)

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
5acffb3fde70f28b9eab13eb78a25e63?d=identicon&s=25 Pau Garcia i Quiles (Guest)

What version of Rails does it talk about? 1.0? 1.1?
Hi --

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> Quoting dblack@wobblini.net:
>
> What version of Rails does it talk about? 1.0? 1.1?

Version 1.0 of Rails and version 1.8.4 of Ruby.

David

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
Bb6ecee0238ef2461bef3416722b35c5?d=identicon&s=25 pat eyler (Guest)
> Hi everyone --
>
> Writing from Canada (just finished attending Canada on Rails, which
> was a big success), to let you know that my book "Ruby for Rails: Ruby
> techniques for Rails developers" has now been released in PDF by
> Manning Publications, with the paper publication to follow in the
> first week of May.  You can order either or both at the Manning
> website.

David,
Congratulations!  I just wrote a review of the Beta/Early Access book
programs of a number of publishers, Manning included.  Yours was
the example I used.  I loved your book, and said so in the review.  It
should be published around mid-week.

I'll be doing a review of several Ruby books in the near future and
yours will again be one of them (a review of the book rather than
the beta program).  I'll be giving it very high marks then too.  I
really think that this might become the book I recommend  to people
just coming to Ruby.  I'm not sure I can say enough good things
about it.

--
thanks,
-pate

Congratulations on a great book! I've been reading it over the last
couple of weeks through the MEAP. I've been "playing" with Ruby since
last summer when I first encountered Rails. Your book added more to my
understanding of the Ruby language than any thing else I've read over
the past 6 months.

Todd Breiholz
7f4d868adb4a96f10e7a92532ee9985f?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Casimir (Guest)
I'm looking at the webpage and wondering if I'm missing something.
There's no "package" for both the PDF and print version together?  The
"Agile" book taught me that having both mediums is great - print for the
first read through, PDF for the future searchability.  I'm not too
excited about paying $45 for the print copy then another $23 for the PDF
($68 total!).

Is there something better?

-Jeff
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
Jeff Casimir wrote:
> I'm looking at the webpage and wondering if I'm missing something.
> There's no "package" for both the PDF and print version together?  The
> "Agile" book taught me that having both mediums is great - print for the
> first read through, PDF for the future searchability.  I'm not too
> excited about paying $45 for the print copy then another $23 for the PDF
> ($68 total!).
>
> Is there something better?

The PDF is included when you buy the print version. Add it to your cart
and you will see.

--

Ray
432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)

If you already know an OO language, you'll have to filter out all the
beginning OO stuff.  Once you get beyond that, it's amazing.

I also can't believe how many traps there are in Ruby for Java
developers.
I'm so glad I'm reading this (I'm not done yet) before trying to finish
the
RoR projects I've started.

Ken Kousen

--
Kenneth A. Kousen, Ph.D.
President
On Apr 16, 2006, at 10:18 pm, Ken Kousen wrote:

> I agree with this completely.  As much as I like the pickaxe, I
> have to
> admit that I learned more about Ruby from the first half-dozen
> chapters of
> R4R than from any other source.

Ken,

I'm pushing Rails where I work, as at least something we should
seriously look into before switching to Java.  I've read the pickaxe
cover-to-cover and back again (before I even knew about Rails), and
consider myself pretty clued up language-wise.  But the developers I
work with are all Java/C# types.  Do you think buying a copy of this
would be the best way to get them up to speed if we go Rails?  I want
to keep my role as language tech support to a minimum, as the fact
using Rails was my suggestion means *I'll* be responsible for *them*
learning to use the framework effectively!

> If you already know an OO language, you'll have to filter out all the
> beginning OO stuff.  Once you get beyond that, it's amazing.
>
> I also can't believe how many traps there are in Ruby for Java
> developers.
> I'm so glad I'm reading this (I'm not done yet) before trying to
> finish the
> RoR projects I've started.

I was showing my boss some little tricks in irb the other day (the
"try this in Java" type) and he asked me if there were any gotchas.
At the time I couldn't think of any (but then I'm not a developer
myself so I haven't used it for serious work).  What do you think are
the worst?  Might be nice to forewarn everyone - they can be a right
bunch of skeptics where I work :)

Ashley
9f173c578c2ff435a41d448e25d62870?d=identicon&s=25 SB (Guest)
Just got this book and all I can say is "I wish I had this a looooong
time ago!"

I have both PragProg books on Ruby & Rails so I am talking in
retrospect and with the background given by these two books.

Basically, to me "Ruby for Rails" is much more logically organized and
thorough in the sense that it pretty much covers all the aspects a
newbie would wrap their heads around or not know where to ask.  It
delves into enough of the innards of the language (ruby) and framework
(rails) that you could feel comfortable that you have enough
background knowledge not to get lost in meaninglessly fighting the
language or just look at rails as "voodoo".

The coverage of ruby is really good with explanations of aspects that
aren't even mentioned in "Programming Ruby" and this is really good
for people like me that come with absolutely no background in
programming.  Also, the conceptual frameworks of MVC and
object-oriented programming are covered nicely as well.

I don't mean to knock the PragProg books but by the time I got to
Chapter 3, I felt like I was fast forwarded into concepts that were
still beyond me.  Of course, this is mainly due to my ignorance.

This book makes Rails seem less "voodoo".
http://www.manning.com/black/excerpt_contents.html

It will be a nice complement to the existing library as well since it
is based on Rails 1.0.  If you combine this with "Rails Recipes" you
can be up to speed with the cutting edge of stable releases.  Of
course, Rails is still a moving target with its rapid pace of
development.

However, since it is a book about Ruby FOR Rails, you will  not find
as much information on modelling data objects and various scenarios
such as single-table inheritance etc. that you find in the Pick Axe
book.  Also as you can see from the table of contents above, the
section dedicated exclusively to rails is a way smaller proportion of
volume dedicated to ruby.

Still, since the print version is coming out in May and the full price
of the ebook is deducted from your print purchase, I say it is an
extremely good deal and nice addition to the family of books out
there.

Congratulations on writing this fine piece of work and thank you.
D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
on 2006-04-17 16:21
Ray Baxter wrote:
> Jeff Casimir wrote:

> The PDF is included when you buy the print version. Add it to your cart
> and you will see.
>
> --
>
> Ray

Sorry to be dense, but add "what"? I've tried adding the pdf and then
the hard copy, vice versa, and just doing the hard copy to see if it
mentions the pdf. If both the pdf and the book are in the list, the
price jumps to the sum of the two regardless of the order I add thing
in.
A little help here?

Keith
432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)
Hi Ashley,

To an experienced OO developer, the R4R book feels like a "Dummies"
book.
That's a bit off-putting at first, but appropriate for its target
audience.
When you get beyond that, though, the meat of the language really is
there.
I would say, therefore, that if you think the Java/C++ types in your
organization won't mind the basic stuff, go for it.

My experience is that if you take a room full of Java developers and
build a
simple e-commerce app using Rails in about 20 minutes, they become
sufficiently dazzled that they'll want to see more.

As for Ruby gotchas, here are a couple (I'm eventually going to assemble
web page of these things):

1. If you're in a method and you call "super" by itself, it passes the
current arguments to the superclass version.  If you call "super()"
instead,
no arguments are passed.

2. In order to use setter methods that end in =, you have to say
"self.var =
value".  If you just write "var = value", you've created a local
variable
and set it rather than modifying the attribute.  Inside a method, "self"
is
"this".

3. If you declare an attribute outside a method (the way you normally do
in
Java), you're actually creating an attribute of the _class_ (i.e., a
static
attribute) rather than of an instance attribute.  You need to create
instance attributes inside a method.  Outside a method, "self" is the
Class
(!).

That's a subset of the bigger issue:  In Ruby, "self != this", except
when
it does. :)  That's actually a huge problem for Java developers.  In
Java,
static methods don't even have a "this" reference.  In Ruby, "self"
outside
a method means the Class object itself.  The chapter in R4R that
explains
all that is worth the price of the book right there.

I'll mention others as I go along.

Ken

--
Kenneth A. Kousen, Ph.D.
President

> just coming to Ruby.  I'm not sure I can say enough good things
> about it.

+1 on the Congrats!
On 4/17/06, Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to be dense, but add "what"? I've tried adding the pdf and then
> the hard copy, vice versa, and just doing the hard copy to see if it
> mentions the pdf. If both the pdf and the book are in the list, the
> price jumps to the sum of the two regardless of the order I add thing
> in.
> A little help here?

I agree, it is confusing.  If you go to the home page, it says you get
both [1], but on the product page they list them seperately [2].  In
the basket it's simply described as "Softbound print book".

I figure they're not going to lie on their home page, so I ordered the
print edition.  Just checked my mail, and indeed, I already have a
link to download the PDF.

[1] http://www.manning.com/
[2] http://www.manning.com/black/
Keith Lancaster wrote:

> Sorry to be dense, but add "what"? I've tried adding the pdf and then
> the hard copy, vice versa, and just doing the hard copy to see if it
> mentions the pdf. If both the pdf and the book are in the list, the
> price jumps to the sum of the two regardless of the order I add thing
> in.
> A little help here?

The manning site is different than it was when I tested this on
Saturday. When I clicked on the "Add to cart" button next to the Print
version, I got a shopping cart page with two items in it and no charge
for the pdf.

The old page was a Manning hosted page, not the current Yahoo stores
implementation.

--

Ray
D4e51fd9554030ab55c379fdc1a34826?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Lancaster (klancaster)
Bill Guindon wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry to be dense, but add "what"? I've tried adding the pdf and then
>> the hard copy, vice versa, and just doing the hard copy to see if it
>> mentions the pdf. If both the pdf and the book are in the list, the
>> price jumps to the sum of the two regardless of the order I add thing
>> in.
>> A little help here?
>
> I agree, it is confusing.  If you go to the home page, it says you get
> both [1], but on the product page they list them seperately [2].  In
> the basket it's simply described as "Softbound print book".
>
> I figure they're not going to lie on their home page, so I ordered the
> print edition.  Just checked my mail, and indeed, I already have a
> link to download the PDF.
>
> [1] http://www.manning.com/
> [2] http://www.manning.com/black/

Thanks - I finally figured it out, basically by just guessing and
ordering the hard cover. They could definately be clearer about the
procedure on the site.

Keith
D23f436b8e718e80f447712cdac67083?d=identicon&s=25 Amr Malik (amrmalik)
on 2006-04-18 03:09
unknown wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> Writing from Canada (just finished attending Canada on Rails, which
> was a big success), to let you know that my book "Ruby for Rails: Ruby
> techniques for Rails developers" has now been released in PDF by
> Manning Publications, with the paper publication to follow in the
> first week of May.  You can order either or both at the Manning
> website.
>
> Manning has been having some website issues (they've been doing a
> whole huge migration), so please be patient as you step through the
> slightly rocky landscape :-)
>
> When you go to http://www.manning.com/black, you may be asked to click
> through to another site (secure.manning.com), which is their backup
> sales site during the transition.  If so, just click through and there
> you'll be.
>
> And please drop by the Author Online forum at
> http://www.manning-sandbox.com/forum.jspa?forumID=200!
>

> David
>
> P.S. There are two sample chapters available for free.  They're on the
> http://www.manning.com/black site (not yet on the other, I think), so
> check there first :-)
>
> --
> David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)
> Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypowerandlight.com)
>
> "Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
> Paper version coming in early May!

Would we still get the PDF if ordered through Amazon.ca (for
Canadians?). They have the book at 34% off at CAD 40.xx which is a
pretty good price actually. No mention of the PDF though. Is there an
included CD which contains the PDF?

Thanks,

Amr
Hi --

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Ken Kousen wrote:

> 3. If you declare an attribute outside a method (the way you normally do in
> Java), you're actually creating an attribute of the _class_ (i.e., a static
> attribute) rather than of an instance attribute.  You need to create
> instance attributes inside a method.  Outside a method, "self" is the Class
> (!).

I think you mean instance variables here, rather than attributes.
Attributes are kind of second-order constructs layered on top of
instance variables (i.e., when you do attr_reader and related methods,
the attribute methods Ruby generates are implemented using instance
variables).  But the instance variables themselves are not attributes;
they can be used for different purposes.

Maybe this makes it less of a 'gotcha', in the sense that instance
variables can be understood incrementally from local variables (plus
the "self" concept), and then attributes are built on top of that.

David

--

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Ray Baxter wrote:

>>> Ray
>
> The old page was a Manning hosted page, not the current Yahoo stores
> implementation.

Yeah, I think this was part of the migration pains Manning has had in
the past 7-10 days as they've changed things around.  (Just to add a
little drama to the launching of my book, I guess :-)

At this point you should definitely get both when you order the paper.

David

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)
Of course, that's another trap.  In Java, the words "instance variables"
and
"attributes" are interchangeable. :)

Ken

--
Kenneth A. Kousen, Ph.D.
President

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Ken Kousen wrote:

> Of course, that's another trap.  In Java, the words "instance variables" and
> "attributes" are interchangeable. :)

Think of them not as traps but as releases *from* traps :-)

David

> [mailto:rails-bounces@lists.rubyonrails.org] On Behalf Of
> in
> the attribute methods Ruby generates are implemented using instance
> --

David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
6cf3e18ebc948992a4cbe83330496e36?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Jagielski (sweetpete)
on 2006-04-18 17:17
Guys,

FWIW, I just ordered the paper version and a couple minutes afterward, I
received an email with a link to the PDF download.