Forum: Ruby Raking RubyGems

A87f7a014c624587fab0d3d78c5b9c18?d=identicon&s=25 Bil Kleb (Guest)
[Note: I'm reposting this to the mailing list since I think
the gateway was down when I posted through news:comp.lang.ruby]

Hello,

So I'm finally getting around to learning how to package
a gem with rake, and I've found that in addition to Chad's
wonderful Pickaxe writeup, looking at other people's Rakefiles
has been a great help.

However, at least one question still lingers:

  In Rake's Rakefile, I am puzzled by why lines 176-179 are
  not replaced by s.rdoc_options=rd.options similar to
  the way s.extra_rdoc_files=rd.rdoc_files is done on the
  line before -- see

   http://rubyforge.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/ra...

  Jim, in case you read this, there is a typo in the
  the header comments -> "is may be"?

FWIW, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to use

  rake package

to get rake to spit out all three types of packages I had
requested; Chad's Pickaxe writeup only has an explicit-
target example, so I was doing,

  rake pkg/fUnit-0.0.1.gem
  rake pkg/fUnit-0.0.1.tgz
  rake pkg/fUnit-0.0.1.zip

If you want to take a look at my current Rakefile mess,
and offer patches, see

  http://rubyforge.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/tr...

Thanks,
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-04-16 02:35
Bil Kleb wrote:
>   In Rake's Rakefile, I am puzzled by why lines 176-179 are
>   not replaced by s.rdoc_options=rd.options similar to
>   the way s.extra_rdoc_files=rd.rdoc_files is done on the
>   line before

Good idea!  I've modified the Rakefile to do exactly that.

>   Jim, in case you read this, there is a typo in the
>   the header comments -> "is may be"?

Yep, typo.  Should be just "may be"

> FWIW, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to use
>
>   rake package
>
> to get rake to spit out all three types of packages I had
> requested;

'rake -T' might help here.

--
-- Jim Weirich