Forum: GNU Radio missing functions in gnuradio?

C47fa65f2496828c7df33bebdea36df1?d=identicon&s=25 Horst Eyermann (Guest)
Hello,

I am relatively new to gnuradio and plan to write a weatherfax decoder
in gnuradio.

I want to try different schemes for decoding the signal (coherent /
noncoherent / short-time DFT)

As there is phasing in the signal I am most interested in the
non-coherent approach. But there I am really lacking a square-root block
in gnuradio. It should not be difficult for me to implement it - but I
wondered why such a block is not present in the library.

Should such a block (or a general "power of" block) included in the
library?

Best regards,

Horst
13f040173cbb2ce84ac18275faafce60?d=identicon&s=25 Clark Pope (Guest)
You may be able to find an existing weatherfax decoder that can be
ported
more easily. This worked for the multi-mon project. Somebody just took
the
dos code that had been around for a while and got it to use data from
the
gnu radio instead of a sound card like it did originally.

-Clark

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:03:23AM +0200, Horst Eyermann wrote:
> in gnuradio. It should not be difficult for me to implement it - but I
> wondered why such a block is not present in the library.
>
> Should such a block (or a general "power of" block) included in the
> library?

Hi Horst,

We do have gr.rms_cf and gr.rms_ff which compute estimates of RMS
power for complex and float signals respectively.

There's also gr.complex_to_mag for complex signals.

We generally avoid continuously computing the square root (it's
expensive).  In our examples so far we've generally wanted to compare
power to a threshold, and in that case it was easier to factor the
(absence of) square root into the threshold setting than to burn the
cycles computing sqrt on every sample.

Eric