Forum: Ruby on Rails CLOB handling in ActiveRecord 1.14.2

43eff98671a295944168209f742a18c5?d=identicon&s=25 Richard Adrian (rjadrian)
on 2006-04-14 18:48
We recently switched to Rails 1.1.2, which includes the latest version
of ActiveRecord.

This version seems to have introduced an error with the handling of
non-binary large objects.

The OCI adapter in 1.13.2 seemed to have treated CLOB and BLOB
identically.  The new Oracle adapter distinguishes between the two types
and gives CLOB a type of :text, where as BLOB are :binary

When it comes to insert or updating, only the binary fields are handled
in the way that large objects should be handled (an after save
callback).

It is trying to insert our CLOB as part of a large insert statement and
Oracle is not happy.

We made a temporary base change to fix this, by making CLOBs :binary.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of an upcoming patch?

Much Thanks....

Richard
E75cda3e915fa209386fae3de962cb6a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael A. Schoen (Guest)
Richard Adrian wrote:
> The OCI adapter in 1.13.2 seemed to have treated CLOB and BLOB
> identically.  The new Oracle adapter distinguishes between the two types
> and gives CLOB a type of :text, where as BLOB are :binary
> Has anyone else experienced this or know of an upcoming patch?

I've posted a patch, waiting to be accepted:

	http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/4748