Forum: GNU Radio IPAQ, USRP, and USB 1.1

F4c3ef08c85c5729a5521bc80d5025c0?d=identicon&s=25 Lee Patton (Guest)
All -

Clark was nice enough to outline some steps he saw as necessary for
getting GNU Radio running on an IPAQ:

"1. get an Ipaq (there are 520 mhz models now for ~$400)
 2. install linux (http://familiar.handhelds.org/)
 3. get a cross compiler for ipaq (see above)
 4. port python to ipaq/linux
 5. port gnuradio core to ipaq/linux, i assume just compiling it will
work
 6. port usrp to ipaq

step 6 may be the hard part as I don't know if the IPAQ has usb2.0. You
may need a plug in card or you may be happy with usb1.1 and can figure
out how to modify the usrp firmware to run on 1.1"

The uncertainty comes from having to use a compact flash usb 1.1 host
controller such as this (also given to me by clark)
http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpa...

Any other comments on the feasibility of getting USRP working with USB
1.1 and IPAQ?

This seems to be the solution my group is leaning towards. I have my
reservations (especially due to our short timeline), but I am frustrated
by lack of hard dimensional/weight/power/operating
temperature/humidity/vibrational/shielding constraints from the remote
controlled airplane guys.

Also Nokia 770 has USB 2.0 connectivity
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/6534.html
But requires some hacks to get host support
http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/01/no-solder-u...

Also, as Clark pointed out, the 770 is probably a lot less power
efficient than the IPAQ.

Disclaimer: I don't own a PDA of any kind. Never have. Never will  --
unless it does something cool like run GNU Radio, or I become a lot more
important!

v/r
 - Lee
On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:15:52PM -0400, Lee Patton wrote:
> work
>  6. port usrp to ipaq
>
> Any other comments on the feasibility of getting USRP working with USB
> 1.1 and IPAQ?

It would take some work.  I know others have made the USRP work on USB
1.1, at the expense of breaking support for 2.0.  I'd welcome a patch
that worked in both worlds.

I think the biggest problem with USB 1.1 is the puny throughput
available.

> Also, as Clark pointed out, the 770 is probably a lot less power
> efficient than the IPAQ.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't own a PDA of any kind. Never have. Never will  --
> unless it does something cool like run GNU Radio, or I become a lot more
> important!
>
> v/r
>  - Lee

How about trying one of the AMD Geode NX boards?  E.g.,
http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/Pro...

Given your tight time schedule, I think that trying to work around the
absence of USB 2.0 and floating point on the IPAQ is going to be tough.

Eric