Forum: GNU Radio mode S ADS-B reception

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
635b8cf1ca106f565815ca16ccc438ae?d=identicon&s=25 Matteo Campanella (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 11:49
(Received via mailing list)
Hello, has anyone tried reception of mode S ADS-B with the
usrp/gnuradio?

MC
Fdf89a5a91ee1f6fc16a90c4808bc222?d=identicon&s=25 Hugh Blemings (Guest)
on 2006-09-07 14:22
(Received via mailing list)
Hiya,

A long long time ago - Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:46:29 +0200 (CEST)
"Matteo Campanella" <matteo@matcam.net> wrote:

> Hello, has anyone tried reception of mode S ADS-B with the usrp/gnuradio?

This has recently piqued my interest too but didn't see any response to
Matteo's query.

Has anyone looked into this ?

If not, Matteo, I guess it's up to us :)

Kind Regards,
Hugh
VK1YYZ/AD5RV
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-09-07 23:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:19:51PM +1000, Hugh Blemings wrote:
>
> If not, Matteo, I guess it's up to us :)
>
> Kind Regards,
> Hugh
> VK1YYZ/AD5RV

Hi Hugh,

I don't know of anyone who's done it.
Dive in ;)

Eric
635b8cf1ca106f565815ca16ccc438ae?d=identicon&s=25 Matteo Campanella (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 02:00
(Received via mailing list)
Hi - I have not done anything along that path yet - in June, at the
hamvention in Fredrichshafen I got the chance to see the SBS-1 device
live... it does what we would like to do with the usrp -
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/ and it was showing alot of traces by
only means of the vertical shown in the picture.

I am still interested in the subject but I haven't found any decent
documentation about the protocol by googling a bit around...

ciao
matteo
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 02:56
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:58:10AM +0200, Matteo Campanella wrote:
> Hi - I have not done anything along that path yet - in June, at the
> hamvention in Fredrichshafen I got the chance to see the SBS-1 device
> live... it does what we would like to do with the usrp -
> http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/ and it was showing alot of traces by
> only means of the vertical shown in the picture.
>
> I am still interested in the subject but I haven't found any decent
> documentation about the protocol by googling a bit around...

I believe the specs are available from RTCA, Inc.

See http://adsb.tc.faa.gov/ADS-B.htm towards the bottom of the page.

Eric
Fdf89a5a91ee1f6fc16a90c4808bc222?d=identicon&s=25 Hugh Blemings (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 13:09
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Eric, Matteo, All,

Eric & Matteo wrote previously:

> > Hi - I have not done anything along that path yet - in June, at the
> > hamvention in Fredrichshafen I got the chance to see the SBS-1 device
> > live... it does what we would like to do with the usrp -
> > http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/ and it was showing alot of traces by
> > only means of the vertical shown in the picture.

Yes, it's a nice piece of kit.

> > I am still interested in the subject but I haven't found any decent
> > documentation about the protocol by googling a bit around...
>
> I believe the specs are available from RTCA, Inc.
>
> See http://adsb.tc.faa.gov/ADS-B.htm towards the bottom of the page.

Yes, this seems right, the only specs I could find were purchasable
through RTCA for around USD$300 which is getting a little steep for a
hobby project :)

This chap (a fellow ham as it turns out) has a little info and some
links;

http://www.tech-software.net/index.php?module=page...

Including a reference for the bitstream timing, but not the contents of
the frame.  I infer it uses pulse position encoding for the response
based on this link;

http://web.mit.edu/6.933/www/Fall2000/mode-s/modulation.html

I figure I'll do some more digging around in the first instance for
resources on the web.

Failing that maybe see if I can at least capture some datastreams off
air and see where that leads...

Cheers,
Hugh
VK1YYZ/AD5RV
635b8cf1ca106f565815ca16ccc438ae?d=identicon&s=25 Matteo Campanella (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 15:08
(Received via mailing list)
Hi everyone, I have built a brand new vmware image with updated fedora
core 5 and latest gnuradio from trac - obviously the usrp won't work
because of usb2 not supported on vmware, but it's a nice to have for on
the run gnuradioing.

Only problem is the image takes 5 GB so it's kinda akward to be
exchanged
via net...should there be anyone interested in getting it, we could find
a
way.

cheers
Matteo
13f040173cbb2ce84ac18275faafce60?d=identicon&s=25 Clark Pope (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 17:58
(Received via mailing list)
This is a great idea as it took me about a week to install gnuradio and
usrp
my first try. If you can make an image that has ALL the gnuradio tools
would
be even better, e.g. at least:

*fpga compile (is there a linux altera solution yet)
*svn for pulling the latest code
*gnuradio base and code compile
*the gEDA software and usrp schematics, layout files
*fx2 microcontroller tools

As for distributing, if you can keep it to one dvd maybe Matt would
agree to
sell on his web site for a nominal charge, say $15.

I think it's just a matter of time before vmware supports usb2.0. Once
we
have that, it's like you say one click to a working gnuradio and folks
can
spend more time developing and less time configuring.

Thanks,
Clark

>Only problem is the image takes 5 GB so it's kinda akward to be exchanged
>Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
>Discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org
>http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio

_________________________________________________________________
All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day
trial!
http://www.windowsonecare.com/trial.aspx?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 18:12
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:55:29AM -0400, Clark Pope wrote:
> This is a great idea as it took me about a week to install gnuradio and
> usrp my first try. If you can make an image that has ALL the gnuradio tools
> would be even better, e.g. at least:

> *fpga compile (is there a linux altera solution yet)

No free Linux solution

> As for distributing, if you can keep it to one dvd maybe Matt would agree
> to sell on his web site for a nominal charge, say $15.

Folks, if you use one of the distributions that we like,
*everything* is already packaged.  See
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide
Lots of people are winning big with ubuntu, SuSE 10.1 and FC 5

Eric
533e669652a899ecd3b838295aef0837?d=identicon&s=25 Angilberto Muniz Sb (Guest)
on 2006-09-08 23:25
(Received via mailing list)
Two tumbs up for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS !!!

I ordered my two USRPs about 2 years ago and could
never make it to work under linux (FC3,FC4 RHx...).

I finally gave up on it and started to play USRP under
Windows.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to give Ubuntu a try
-- and Voila -- its working like a champ...

Angilberto.


--- Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com> wrote:

>
> http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide
> Lots of people are winning big with ubuntu, SuSE
> 10.1 and FC 5
>
> Eric
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
> Discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org
>
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
635b8cf1ca106f565815ca16ccc438ae?d=identicon&s=25 Matteo Campanella (Guest)
on 2006-09-10 08:14
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Greg,
svn, and grnuradio sources are already onboard, what is missing is geda
and
usrp schematics, which I can easily add
sorry but I do not know what exactly fx2 microcontroller tools
are...maybe I
am still sleepy :-) (spent last night installing
new Athlon64 MB after my XP died on friday ;( )

regards
Matteo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark Pope" <cepope13@hotmail.com>
To: <matteo@matcam.net>; <discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 17:55
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fedora Core 5 gnuradio vmware image
635b8cf1ca106f565815ca16ccc438ae?d=identicon&s=25 Matteo Campanella (Guest)
on 2006-10-22 16:39
(Received via mailing list)
Hello, I have noticed that the DC offset removal IIR filter that was in
        the old gmsk2.py is not there anymore in the new gmsk.py - is
        there any
        particular reason for that? Or is it simply that it has been
        moved
        somewhere else along the modules chain?

        regards
        Matteo
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.