Forum: Ruby on Rails SPAM on rails-list

8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
This is a high traffic list as it is and it is really annoying to see
that SPAM is on the rise here.

I wonder how they can spam the list since each user has to be
authenticated. Do spammers go through the trouble of subscribing to
the list? In any case, this msg is to the list admin...could you
please do whatever it takes to filter this stuff out?

Thank you very much.

-bakki
On 12 Apr 2006, at 15:57, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> This is a high traffic list as it is and it is really annoying to see
> that SPAM is on the rise here.
>
> I wonder how they can spam the list since each user has to be
> authenticated. Do spammers go through the trouble of subscribing to
> the list? In any case, this msg is to the list admin...could you
> please do whatever it takes to filter this stuff out?

Subscribing to a list that uses mailman can be quite easily automated
actually. But indeed, a lot of spam and fishing mails are getting
posted on the list these days.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
Is there some way to make mailman use captcha to filter the bots?
Perhaps only allow web based confirmation with captcha.

-bakki
Bakki Kudva wrote:
> Is there some way to make mailman use captcha to filter the bots?
> Perhaps only allow web based confirmation with captcha.
The problem isn't that spammers are registering, it's that the list
allows posts from unregistered addresses.  At least, that used to be the
case.  I assume it hasn't changed.
68c80ac94f8f7caf691b423632d5d3f0?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Silvester (Guest)
On Wednesday 12 Apr 2006 15:20, Alex Young wrote:
> The problem isn't that spammers are registering, it's that the list
> allows posts from unregistered addresses.  At least, that used to be the
> case.  I assume it hasn't changed.

That used to be the case, and it's also pretty easy to test.  If this
email
gets through, the list is still accepting posts from unregistered
addresses
(I just made up the email address I'm sending this from).

The spam annoys me too, but it seems that just ignoring it is probably
the
best approach, as it's been mentioned before and nothing appears to have
been
done about it.  This list is such high volume anyway that the overall
signal/noise ratio of the list isn't really affected too much.

Take deep breaths and try to ignore it!  ;-)

Cheers,

~Dave

--

Dave Silvester
Rent-A-Monkey Website Development

PGP Key: http://www.rentamonkey.com/pgpkey.asc
On 4/12/06, Dave Silvester <junkboxwhatever@rentamonkey.com> wrote:
> signal/noise ratio of the list isn't really affected too much.
>
> Take deep breaths and try to ignore it!  ;-)

"Waiting to Exhale" :)

-bakki