Forum: Typo Questions for a white paper involving a demo install of Typo

D47ab08137790ad6c2c8b22f1b7a9825?d=identicon&s=25 Leibowitz, Samuel J (Guest)
All,

I've been asked to put together a white paper about Ruby on Rails.
Rather write yet another article with a simple proof-of-concept
application tutorial, I thought it might be more interesting to talk
about scaling issues.  With that in mind, my current plan is to set up
Typo in a multiple server environment, turn off caching, and start load
testing it to see how many FCGI listeners on each box gets the best
performance. The results would form the basis of the paper.

My hope is that an article specifically about how Rails apps get
deployed in high-volume, high-availability environments would be more
interesting than another round of "now let's do script/generate
scaffold..."

I'd appreciate any feedback you might have to offer, both on whether or
not you'd find such a paper interesting, and on any particular
implementation issues that spring to mind.  Maybe it'll even be useful
if you happen to have a Typo-driven blog so popular that you need a
half-dozen dedicated servers just to run it. ;)

Many thanks for your time,

Sam Leibowitz <Samuel.Leibowitz@Unisys.com>
Comm Solution Development
Unisys
phone: 610.648.3702
Dc3f3775a7d03ba1be8958aaee881d6b?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Laird (Guest)
One suggestion: turn off all of the sidebars.  The current
sidebarimplementation has some performance issues with Typo with at
leastsome versions of rails; I haven't benchmarked it recently.

Scott
On 4/11/06, Leibowitz, Samuel J <Samuel.Leibowitz@unisys.com> wrote:>
[...]
Oh, and one other thing--if you use the current Typo trunk and
runmemcached on your servers, then you *should* be able to use
Rails'memcache fragment cache implementation, so you'll have a working
cachespread across multiple front-end servers with correct
cacheinvalidation.

Scott
On 4/11/06, Scott Laird <scott@sigkill.org> wrote:> One suggestion: turn
Samuel J <Samuel.Leibowitz@unisys.com> wrote:> > All,> >> > I've been
asked to put together a white paper about Ruby on Rails.> > Rather write
yet another article with a simple proof-of-concept> > application
tutorial, I thought it might be more interesting to talk> > about
scaling issues.  With that in mind, my current plan is to set up> > Typo
in a multiple server environment, turn off caching, and start load> >
testing it to see how many FCGI listeners on each box gets the best> >
performance. The results would form the basis of the paper.> >> > My
hope is that an article specifically about how Rails apps get> >
deployed in high-volume, high-availability environments would be more> >
interesting !
than another round of "now let's do script/generate> > scaffold..."> >>
> I'd appreciate any feedback you might have to offer, both on whether
or> > not you'd find such a paper interesting, and on any particular> >
implementation issues that spring to mind.  Maybe it'll even be useful>
> if you happen to have a Typo-driven blog so popular that you need a> >
half-dozen dedicated servers just to run it. ;)> >> > Many thanks for
your time,> >> > Sam Leibowitz <Samuel.Leibowitz@Unisys.com>> > Comm
Solution Development> > Unisys> > phone: 610.648.3702> >> >

> One suggestion: turn off all of the sidebars.  The current
> sidebarimplementation has some performance issues with Typo with at
> leastsome versions of rails; I haven't benchmarked it recently.

I believe that Rails 1.1 is supposed to have improved component
performance. Which is nice.