Forum: Ruby on Rails Whats the big deal with UTF-8?

Cd8c9864d88bcafc164d8fdb820cc451?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Richards (chris)
could someone please explain what the significance/importance of UTF-8
is, and why you would need it in an application?

I've done a lot of web developing and i've never needed to know what it
is.  I hope i've not been missing something very important!!
Thanks,

Chris
5c15703984caa012845b3cea129da936?d=identicon&s=25 Manuel González Noriega (Guest)
On 11/04/06, Chris Richards <evilgeenius@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> could someone please explain what the significance/importance of UTF-8
> is, and why you would need it in an application?
>
> I've done a lot of web developing and i've never needed to know what it
> is.  I hope i've not been missing something very important!!
> Thanks,

Well, pretty important indeed :)

The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively
Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)

Manuel
a veces :) a veces :(
pero siempre trabajando duro para Simplelógica: apariencia,
experiencia y comunicación en la web.
http://simplelogica.net # (+34) 985 22 12 65

¡Ah! y escribiendo en Logicola: http://logicola.simplelogica.net